Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#2262312 - 11/09/21 09:46 PM Tract Changes
JobSecurity Offline
Platinum Poster
I have just been tossed into the middle of an assessment area change after being out of CRA for a few years. I was out trying to find maps and came across the census.gov site. I was trying to print off maps to show the old and the new assessment areas. However when I opened up the current 2020 map I noticed the tracts were different from the 2010 map and the map that is in the public file. So my question is--has there been tract updates in response to the census data being released already? When I pull up the 2021 FFIEC Census Report with the demographics, the tract is there, but when I look at the 2020 Census Tract Reference Map the tract is not there. I really don't understand what is going on.

Return to Top
CRA
#2262407 - 11/11/21 06:49 PM Re: Tract Changes JobSecurity
Len S Offline
Diamond Poster
Connecticut
The tract identities, boundaries, income class, and other demographics based on the latest Census are implemented and changed for every year ending in "2". The income class and other demographic-related classifications changes also in years ending in "7" based on the 5-year ACS. Based on this history I would expect that the Census 2020 results will be implented during 2022 (sometimes the FFIEC publishes the list and income classifications in December of years ending in "1". So, keep your eyes open soon!

Return to Top
#2266741 - 02/23/22 04:20 PM Re: Tract Changes JobSecurity
MortComp Offline
Noticed the tract changes for January 2022 HMDA. Flood Certs on some applications were in 2021 but file closed 2022. Is it necessary to update flood cert on these to show correct tract #?

Return to Top
#2266743 - 02/23/22 04:39 PM Re: Tract Changes JobSecurity
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
I fail to see what a census tract has to do with the flood hazard determination form. There is no field for census tract.

Return to Top
#2266869 - 02/25/22 04:10 AM Re: Tract Changes JobSecurity
Len S Offline
Diamond Poster
Connecticut
The Census 2010 tracts were implemented by the FFIEC for the year 2012. Subsequent to that a number of changes occurred that affected the tract income classifications. One occasion happened when the Census Bureau published corrections to its original tract identities. Another occasion was when the 5-year ACS was put into effect for the year 2017. In addition, there were 3 or so years when the OMB changed MSA's - every time that happens the tract income classifications are affected in those states.

So if you are comparing the FFIEC tract income classifications for 2020 to the 2010 tracts and their classifications you would see dramatic differences. Your public file should have been updated every time the tracts and/or their income classifications changed.

During 2022 the FFIEC will adopt the Census 2020 tracts and that will be a major change. In another post here on BOL I published a link to a free public map site where GeoDataVision makes available interactive maps that show census tracts and their income class as well as minority census tracts and MSA's, MD's and CSA maps - all pertinent to CRA and HMDA and Fair Lending.

Return to Top