BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Thread Options
#475842 - 12/28/05 09:38 PM Operations Issues
file queen Offline
Gold Star
file queen
Nevada
I could use a little input from all the compliance folks out there. I have an operations manager who is continually trying to either take over my job responsibilities, or give me projects that are unrealted to compliance (and she isn't even my boss, I report directly to the CEO). Has anyone else had these problems, and if so, how do you handle them? I want to be a team player, but she's making me nuts!

Return to Top
#475843 - 12/28/05 09:48 PM Re: Operations Issues
someone else Offline
Power Poster
someone else
back to my roots
Take a hockey stick to her face. Seriously, it works. She'll leave you alone after that.

Return to Top
#475844 - 12/28/05 09:51 PM Re: Operations Issues
file queen Offline
Gold Star
file queen
Nevada
HA! It's awfully tempting, but she's 67, and even the mental image of whacking her give me the creeps.

Return to Top
#475845 - 12/28/05 10:16 PM Re: Operations Issues
RR Sarah Offline
Power Poster
RR Sarah
Up North
Well, file queen, it sounds like you are involved in a power struggle. I would politely, but firmly, stand my ground and insist that since you already have a job to do you couldn't possibly do hers as well. Then I would have a little chat with my CEO and let him/her know what is going on and that you are handling it (but just wanted them to be aware in case the fur started flying).

Return to Top
#475846 - 12/28/05 10:36 PM Re: Operations Issues
*nUnZeO* Offline
Power Poster
*nUnZeO*
~*TEXAS*~
well 67 hopefully she will die or retire and get off your back.....ok guys just kidding, i'm assuming that it might be the fact that she is so old that she is trying to prove that she can still do her job

Return to Top
#475847 - 12/29/05 01:46 PM Re: Operations Issues
Beagles22 Offline
Power Poster
State of confusion
Also file queen, if you are a younger person she may be doing it for a couple of reasons:
1. She may just be used to giving her jobs to a person that is younger because she is older and feels you should help her
2. Power struggle (as mentioned) she wants to show you that just because she is older, you still are 'under' her even though you aren't
3. It is possible you have a lot more technical knowledge and she wants you to help her but doesn't know how to ask without giving you the credit you deserve.

These are just a couple of ways I see it from experience at my bank. The bad news is I have no helpful hint for you, but the good news is stand your ground and she will either back off or figure out that you can help her if she asks you for help. I found that even telling them you prefer to be asked if you have time to help instead of being told to help would make you more willing sometimes works depending on the person. Good luck!!

Return to Top
#475848 - 12/29/05 02:22 PM Re: Operations Issues
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

well 67 hopefully she will die or retire and get off your back.....ok guys just kidding, i'm assuming that it might be the fact that she is so old that she is trying to prove that she can still do her job

quite insightful young wippersnapper!

Return to Top
#475849 - 12/29/05 04:36 PM Re: Operations Issues
file queen Offline
Gold Star
file queen
Nevada
Quote:

2. Power struggle (as mentioned) she wants to show you that just because she is older, you still are 'under' her even though you aren't

I really think this is the main reason-she is always bringing up her "vast" experience, and trying to belittle my experience-which was mainly sales up until a year ago. I want to have a good relationship with her, because she's a nice person, but I still can't figure out how to get her to see that I am trying to help her, not make her look bad.

Return to Top
#475850 - 12/29/05 05:25 PM Re: Operations Issues
MichelleDawn Offline
Power Poster
MichelleDawn
Quote:

Quote:

I really think this is the main reason-she is always bringing up her "vast" experience, and trying to belittle my experience-which was mainly sales up until a year ago. I want to have a good relationship with her, because she's a nice person, but I still can't figure out how to get her to see that I am trying to help her, not make her look bad.

This may sound trite, but I find it worked well for me when I was in a similar situation. Turn the tables on her and start asking for her advice on things you really don't need to know. In my situation the woman just needed to feel needed and as soon as I started stroking her ego ("Rita, I'm sure you will know where we keep the ... Have you ever been in a similar sitaution? What do you reccomend, etc.) she might just ease up on you. We really aren't the different from our four legged friends - some of us need to mark our territory.

Return to Top
#475851 - 12/29/05 05:32 PM Re: Operations Issues
Search_Me Offline
Power Poster
Search_Me
In my Strappy Heeled Sandals!
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

We really aren't the different from our four legged friends - some of us need to mark our territory.

This is so true.. never thought of it like that... LOL.. Now when I see people doing this.. I'm gonna think 4 legged friends.

Return to Top
#475852 - 12/29/05 06:56 PM Re: Operations Issues
Anonymous
Unregistered

Did you ask Mr. CEO if he wanted me to do that for you? I'm always willing to help someone who needs it. However, I want to make certain that my efforts are focused on the priorities he has established for me.

Return to Top
#475853 - 12/29/05 07:15 PM Re: Operations Issues
MichelleDawn Offline
Power Poster
MichelleDawn
Quote:

Did you ask Mr. CEO if he wanted me to do that for you? I'm always willing to help someone who needs it. However, I want to make certain that my efforts are focused on the priorities he has established for me.

How do you know it isn't Mrs. CEO?

Return to Top
#475854 - 01/03/06 09:33 PM Re: Operations Issues
Rosebud123 Offline
Platinum Poster
Florida
I've learned that the best way to deal with these things is to flat out and deal with them. You don't have to be rude, but politely explain that it really isn't your responsibility and although you would be more than happy to help you just don't have the time. Also, when she tries to do things that are your job. Just say, "thank you for pointing that out. I will look into it and let you know what my final decision is." That way she knows you are in control of that particular situation not her.

And always remember, if someone has the #$@! to belittle you or say something inappropriate to you, then you can have the same #$@! to say something back. If they can dish it, they can take it.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z, John Burnett