Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Thread Options
#1328731 - 01/22/10 02:45 PM Anyone ever have nasal/sinus surgery?
NotPerfect Offline
Platinum Poster
Midwest
I have allergies. Which also equates to sinus issues 3 seasons out of the year, lucky me. For the past 3 years, I have worked with my allergist and my ENT to try to get my nasal allergies under control, but nothing has seemed to work. With my Wednesday appointment with the ENT, he's determinded that we've exhausted all avenues with various medicines and nasal sprays and the last option is surgery. Since I've been miserable with stuffy noses, sinus pressure, frequent headaches, surgery sounds wonderful. There is a 60-70% chance this will work with a majority of the issues I've been having. (Better than the 0% I have been seeing.)

Has anyone had this done? Would you do it again? Good results/bad results? Any things I should consider or look into before setting a date?

I've talked to one co-worker that had it done, at the same clinic I'm going to, and she's never regretted it. I'm ready for it, but at the same time, I'm a little scared since, besides wisdom teeth, this will only be my 2nd surgery ever.

eek

Return to Top
#1328737 - 01/22/10 02:50 PM Re: Anyone ever have nasal/sinus surgery? NotPerfect
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
I had it done in the early 80's. Was not a pleasant recovery. However, the surgery did clear up a tremendous amount of sinus issues for me.

Note, if you do get it done, avoid aspirin/aspirin based products and any blood thinners for at least 3 mos prior to surgery. That was the source of a lot of my recovery issues.

Return to Top
#1328738 - 01/22/10 02:51 PM Re: Anyone ever have nasal/sinus surgery? Retired DQ
RR Becca Offline
Power Poster
RR Becca
out of the frying pan...
My sister has had it twice. The first time didn't work, the second one did. Not sure what the difference was...

Return to Top
#1328786 - 01/22/10 03:20 PM Re: Anyone ever have nasal/sinus surgery? RR Becca
Ops Offline
Power Poster
Ops
Georgia
My cubicle neighbor had sinus surgery in December. She had lived with year round sinus issues (food allergies) for as long as she could remember. Surgery did wonders for her. She is way beyond happy she had it done.

Her surgery was specifically to remove pollups (sp?) that had taken over more than 3/4 of her sinuses. She will have to a couple things daily for the rest of her life, but she said she is happy to do it.

Return to Top
#1328800 - 01/22/10 03:36 PM Re: Anyone ever have nasal/sinus surgery? Ops
DD Regs Offline
Power Poster
DD Regs
Somewhere in the middle

Had surgery three years ago and had no problems at all.

The question is what is he planning to do? In my case I had Huge oversize "Terbunix Glands" (not sure how it is spelled) that restricted things. After removing them, my sinus infections went away, alot of the draining in my throat is gone, but not all.

I have only had one stuffed up nose since the surgery and one sinus infection. This used to be a regular occurrence for me.

Find out what he plans to do and get a qualified second opinion. Search it on the web and see what others experienced as well. When I got my second opinion, the second surgeon looked at my file and had the exact same response, "Wow, you have huge Terbunix Glands" I knew what the first doctor was saying was true.

Return to Top
#1328839 - 01/22/10 04:03 PM Re: Anyone ever have nasal/sinus surgery? DD Regs
NotPerfect Offline
Platinum Poster
Midwest
I would be having a bone spur on my septum removed. Additionally, I have a section in both nasal passages that are larger than normal that they would scrape so that scar tissue would form and shrink them.

When he pressed on the spur to see if it replicated the pain I was feeling, it sure did and then some. I had an instant headache so I feel pretty confident that removing it will help there.

I thought about getting a 2nd opinion, but it would have to come from someone out of network or I'd have a travel a distance to stay in network. This practice is the only one in my area in network and I doubt seeing another dr in the same practice will result in anything impartial.

Return to Top
#1329041 - 01/22/10 05:49 PM Re: Anyone ever have nasal/sinus surgery? NotPerfect
BurntSienna Offline
Diamond Poster
Midwest
I was told to have surgery by 2 doctors, due to my continuous, very frustrating (and painful!) sinus infections. Instead, I talked to a third allergist who focuses on more natural healing. At her request, I tried using a Neti pot and rinsing my sinuses daily. For me, it made a world of difference, and I haven't had more than 1 minor sinus infection per year since. I love it, and it's really easy to use. It sure wouldn't hurt to give it a try - it's a whole lot cheaper than surgery and no recovery time. Good luck!

If you do decide to go the surgery route, I'd *definitely* get a 2nd opinion, even if you have to travel far to get it. Unfortunately, I've become extremely skeptical about the medical establishment, and I think they recommend far too many surgeries in search of the almighty $$$ (just my opinion). Of course, sometimes surgery is necessary, and I've had several myself. I'd just try to keep it as a last resort.

Return to Top
#1329172 - 01/22/10 07:10 PM Re: Anyone ever have nasal/sinus surgery? BurntSienna
StarryNight Offline
100 Club
USA
Periwinkle: I love my neti pot too! I wouldn't say I have sinus issues, but it has helped my mild allergies in the spring/summer.

Return to Top
#1329280 - 01/22/10 07:44 PM Re: Anyone ever have nasal/sinus surgery? StarryNight
Snowgirl Offline
Platinum Poster
My mom had sinus surgery to remove polyps and have sinus cavities scraped and she can no longer smell. It's hard for her at times because she can't smell things like something burning. Can be scary sometimes.

Return to Top
#1329368 - 01/22/10 08:41 PM Re: Anyone ever have nasal/sinus surgery? Snowgirl
NotPerfect Offline
Platinum Poster
Midwest
I've tried a Neti pot - it ALWAYS drains down my throat.

Snowgirl - I'll have to inquire on the loss of smell. I surely wouldn't want that to happen, but then again, I could better tolerate one of my co-workers . . .

Return to Top
#1329392 - 01/22/10 08:58 PM Re: Anyone ever have nasal/sinus surgery? NotPerfect
Bomb Mom Offline
Just has surgery in Nov. I had a deviated septum, inferior turbinate hypertrophy, nasal obstruction, right maxillary sinus cyst, and chronic rhinosinusitis. I have tried everything under the sun with no luck. It was a two and half hour surgery and I had to stay home for two weeks. No real pain associated with it. Now I have to use a nasal flushing system 3 times a day and saline spray every half hour.

Return to Top
#1329439 - 01/22/10 09:22 PM Re: Anyone ever have nasal/sinus surgery? Bomb Mom
NLC Offline
Gold Star
Center of US
I have had the surgery three different times. I have sinus problems so bad and allergies to everything. I was born with a very rare condition that creates it. The first one was very helpful but the other two were not. Be aware that you can get more than one option and they can be all wrong. That happened to me on the second surgery. X-rays taken in two different hospitals a year and a half apart showed the same thing but was wrong.

Return to Top
#1330178 - 01/25/10 06:44 PM Re: Anyone ever have nasal/sinus surgery? NLC
BrendaC Offline
Power Poster
BrendaC
Sweet Home AL
I had surgery years ago and it helped slow the recurrent infections. I had three procedures at one time, so recovery wasn't fun.

My son has polyps and has surgery several times. They come back really quickly, so that doesn't seem to be helping him.

Return to Top
#1338233 - 02/05/10 02:32 PM Re: Anyone ever have nasal/sinus surgery? BrendaC
NotPerfect Offline
Platinum Poster
Midwest
Surgery set for March 3rd. I will be calling today to set up an appt with the doctor to discuss some of the research I've done as well as to get the necessary paperwork completed for my short term leave.

Return to Top
#1350883 - 03/02/10 01:52 PM Re: Anyone ever have nasal/sinus surgery? NotPerfect
NotPerfect Offline
Platinum Poster
Midwest
**Update**

I have surgery tomorrow morning - wish me luck! Outside of wisdom teeth many years ago, this is only my 2nd surgical procedure so I would imagine that by tomorrow morning, I'll be pretty nervous. (Thank God for Xanax.)

Return to Top
#1350938 - 03/02/10 03:01 PM Re: Anyone ever have nasal/sinus surgery? NotPerfect
Pale Rider Offline
10K Club
Pale Rider
under the Lone Star
and hydrocodone post surgery NP; all the best and may you enjoy great success from the procedure....

Return to Top
#1350962 - 03/02/10 03:22 PM Re: Anyone ever have nasal/sinus surgery? Pale Rider
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
Good luck!

Return to Top
#1351070 - 03/02/10 05:14 PM Re: Anyone ever have nasal/sinus surgery? Retired DQ
QCL Offline
Power Poster
QCL
NW IL
NotPerfect,
PLEASE check with the anesthesiologist before taking your Xanax! Please.

And if you do take it make sure to mention what you took and exactly the amount. Anesthesiologists try to give only the amount of medication necessary, and it helps them to know if you are on anything else so they can perfect the type and dose of meds given to you.

<---Not a medical professional. Just had A LOT of procedures smile

Return to Top
#1351119 - 03/02/10 06:12 PM Re: Anyone ever have nasal/sinus surgery? QCL
NotPerfect Offline
Platinum Poster
Midwest
Thanks QDL. I probably won't need it, but my ENT that is doing the surgery is well aware of my list of medications as we've discussed them twice before the surgery. I'm OCD when it comes to this since I'm not a fan of surgeries and don't proactively elect to do them. : D

I asked a friend what to do for my "last" supper tonight since I can't eat after midnight - her suggestion, a burrito. Now that's not a wise idea if you ask me.

Return to Top
#1351431 - 03/03/10 02:18 PM Re: Anyone ever have nasal/sinus surgery? NotPerfect
Pale Rider Offline
10K Club
Pale Rider
under the Lone Star
eek

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z, John Burnett