Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Thread Options
#2129942 - 05/10/17 06:30 PM Career Day
MScarn6942 Offline
Platinum Poster
Land Lacking in Lakes, IL
Hello! I've been asked to speak to some middle school kids in my town about banking as a career on Friday. I have 15-20 minutes to fill, with some Q&A included. Has anyone else ever done something like this and does anyone have any suggestions for topics to cover? Right now, I'm thinking about an illustration on credit cards and how the interest can rack up so quickly and then about compound interest on a deposit account.

Thanks in advance!

Return to Top
#2129944 - 05/10/17 06:37 PM Re: Career Day MScarn6942
Norman Paperman Offline
Diamond Poster
Norman Paperman
48.934476, -114.343735
Speaking to middle-schoolers? Sure, I do it about once a month when I visit the mortgage division. Very short attention-spans.

Take juice and cookies.

CRCM

Return to Top
#2129948 - 05/10/17 06:44 PM Re: Career Day MScarn6942
waldensouth Offline
Power Poster
waldensouth
FINALLY ABOVE the gnat line
You could also teach them about how to choose a good checking and savings account. Hopefully they will do that before they open a credit card account.

- Frederick Douglass

My Opinion Only.

Return to Top
#2129950 - 05/10/17 06:48 PM Re: Career Day MScarn6942
Reg Warrior Online
100 Club
PBS has good " money game" for kids, maybe you can gets some ideas from it.

http://pbskids.org/itsmylife/games/mad_money_flash.html

Return to Top
#2129952 - 05/10/17 06:52 PM Re: Career Day Reg Warrior
RR Sarah Offline
Power Poster
RR Sarah
Up North
I'd go with waldensouth's suggestion. These are middle schoolers...short attention spans...keep it simple! smile

Return to Top
#2129962 - 05/10/17 07:31 PM Re: Career Day MScarn6942
RR Jen Offline
Power Poster
RR Jen
Running and riding everywhere ...
ABA's Teach Children to Save program had some careers in banking presentations as well. They are free once you "register" your bank.

http://www.aba.com/Engagement/Pages/financialed.aspx

Return to Top
#2129975 - 05/10/17 08:15 PM Re: Career Day MScarn6942
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
you've been asked to speak at a career day about a career in banking, and you want to talk about credit card interest rates? Sorry, that is not what career day is for.

You should be talking about different careers that banking has, compliance/audit, lending, retail, business development, operations, wholesale, etc. and what college degrees are beneficial, such as finance, accounting, economics, marketing, etc. With only 15-20 minutes, it needs to be high level, maybe even just focusing on your role/area of expertise in the bank.

Return to Top
#2129985 - 05/10/17 08:33 PM Re: Career Day HappyGilmore
MScarn6942 Offline
Platinum Poster
Originally Posted By HappyGilmore
you've been asked to speak at a career day about a career in banking, and you want to talk about credit card interest rates? Sorry, that is not what career day is for.

You should be talking about different careers that banking has, compliance/audit, lending, retail, business development, operations, wholesale, etc. and what college degrees are beneficial, such as finance, accounting, economics, marketing, etc. With only 15-20 minutes, it needs to be high level, maybe even just focusing on your role/area of expertise in the bank.

They're calling it a career day, but from talking to them it's more of a very basic, learn what a bank does and teach about banking in general. I didn't explain that very well in my original post smile I'm more planning to show them the risks of using a credit card improperly (compounding interest) and the benefits of using one properly (higher credit score).

Thanks to everyone for your suggestions!!

Return to Top
#2129990 - 05/10/17 08:56 PM Re: Career Day MScarn6942
Rocky P Online
Power Poster
Florida
I'm more planning to show them the risks of using a credit card improperly (compounding interest) and the benefits of using one properly (higher credit score).

I would probably discuss ATM/credit card security, NOT signing (co-signing) loans for friends, NOT giving out account/SS#, being careful of credit, what goes into a credit score and advantage of a high score and paying bills on time. If it's basic, tell them things they need to survive.

Get credit info from CB's

Return to Top
#2130077 - 05/11/17 02:51 PM Re: Career Day MScarn6942
RR Jen Offline
Power Poster
RR Jen
Running and riding everywhere ...
I'd have to agree with Rocky, I'd keep it much more basic for that age group.

Return to Top
#2130095 - 05/11/17 03:38 PM Re: Career Day MScarn6942
RockChucker, CAMS Offline
Diamond Poster
The Country
I get the chance to work with younger kids and recommend having visuals and/or items you can pass around that they can touch or feel. It helps them to retain and connect more to what you are saying. Maybe handout some money..... wink

Return to Top
#2130126 - 05/11/17 05:13 PM Re: Career Day MScarn6942
Tracey, CRCM Offline
Platinum Poster
Gorham, ME
I have done similar things at my kids school, I have brought counterfeit bills and real bills and had them find the differences (they love that), and have also taught them how to balance a checkbook (I brought in blank registers and fake checks for them).

Return to Top
#2130260 - 05/12/17 01:59 PM Re: Career Day MScarn6942
edAudit Offline
Power Poster
edAudit
You are here
You are trying to get middle school children to choose banking as a career? wouldn't that be considered child abuse in your state?

CAMS

Return to Top
#2130261 - 05/12/17 02:01 PM Re: Career Day edAudit
MScarn6942 Offline
Platinum Poster
Originally Posted By edAudit
You are trying to get middle school children to choose banking as a career? wouldn't that be considered child abuse in your state?

grin

Return to Top
#2130566 - 05/16/17 01:03 PM Re: Career Day MScarn6942
MScarn6942 Offline
Platinum Poster
Thanks again to everyone for your suggestions! The presentation went well on Friday - the kids actually had a lot of questions and that always makes these things more fun smile

Return to Top
#2130576 - 05/16/17 01:26 PM Re: Career Day MScarn6942
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
Cool!

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z, John Burnett