Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Thread Options
#2147412 - 09/25/17 02:25 PM stress of the job
Bbgreen Offline
Texas
How do you deal with the stress of your job? I am a fairly new lender, the thought of my first loss eats me up.

Return to Top
#2147417 - 09/25/17 02:44 PM Re: stress of the job Bbgreen
MyBrainHurts Offline
Platinum Poster
Illinois
One way to mitigate the stress of having a loan loss is to follow your loan policy and procedures to the letter. You will have comfort in knowing you did things the right way. You will have the occasional bad loan because something unforeseen happens to the customer down the road, but you will avoid the dumb losses that come from waiving a down payment requirement or ignoring an excessive debt to income. In my experience, most losses come from making exceptions to policy or ignoring the fundamentals of good lending.

Also, you can't completely avoid stress. So, you have to find ways to relieve it. Some here find relief in running or working out. Others find it in physical labor on their property. There is also heavy drinking, but that does not always seem effective in the long run.

Return to Top
#2147422 - 09/25/17 03:14 PM Re: stress of the job Bbgreen
cheekEE Offline
Power Poster
Easy Street
My Regoin President would tell you that if you don't any loan loss, you aren't doing enough loans. wink It's just part of the game.

There is a really nice park in town and I go there at lunch to read or listen to music while I eat. This really helps bring my stress level down...unitl I walk back into my branch. laugh

Return to Top
#2147455 - 09/25/17 05:33 PM Re: stress of the job Bbgreen
HRH Okie Banker Offline
Power Poster
Oklahoma
If you learn thru this then it is a plus. I've known two lenders to date that have had no loan loss and it really isn't considered a plus. They have had 30-35+ year careers. It means they take no changes and limit their bank to only "A" loans. There is nothing wrong with A- or B, B-, B+ loans and you have to learn the difference and take the chances. It gives you a chance for different interest rate spreads based on the chances being taken and on the fees you might be leaving on the table.

The closed-minded "A" lenders are seen as dinosaurs.

Again, learn and always listen, thank and honor the compliance and credit people around you. In fact, you should sent your credit and compliance people gifts. Start right now.

And then you walk, run, work out. It's frowned upon to drink on the job so make that your last option!!

Return to Top
#2147483 - 09/25/17 07:31 PM Re: stress of the job Bbgreen
RR Joker Offline
10K Club
RR Joker
The Swamp
Others find it in physical labor on their property. There is also heavy drinking

Yes.

Say you'll haunt me - Stone Sour

Return to Top
#2147486 - 09/25/17 07:41 PM Re: stress of the job Bbgreen
Bbgreen Offline
Texas
Thank you guys! I have been told before if you don't have any losses than you are too tight with your lending. I guess it's just all part of the game. The heaving drinking might be my go to! LOL kidding! Bike riding will do.

Return to Top
#2147495 - 09/25/17 07:52 PM Re: stress of the job Bbgreen
RR Joker Offline
10K Club
RR Joker
The Swamp
Seriously thought. Losses will ultimately happen. Use good old fashioned common sense as much as possible, make sound decisions and put aside the 'greed'. Losses will come at some point, but that's just part of it. No different than the stock market really...you hope you win more than you lose smirk

Say you'll haunt me - Stone Sour

Return to Top
#2147498 - 09/25/17 08:01 PM Re: stress of the job Bbgreen
edAudit Offline
Power Poster
edAudit
You are here
Just remember a large loan loss cost less than a 235 million CMP for BSA stuff.

CAMS

Return to Top
#2147511 - 09/25/17 11:41 PM Re: stress of the job Bbgreen
Rocky P Offline
Power Poster
Florida
While in audit, a lender mentioned that she could count on her fingers the number of loans that were bad. My command was how many good loans did you turn down in the process?

Follow policy, find a senior loan officer and find out how to strengthen loans - what compensating factors to look for, how to negotiate additional security by shaving a fee or reducing the rate. When a loan starts to head south, look for extra collateral - don't put pride before the horse (don't know what that means but it sounded good when someone told it to me), and ask for help: make noise so that they pay you first. Maker a friend in Special Assets - they have to collect some of the loans. Ask them for guidance when structuring the loan - what would they look for to help collect.

Lastly when a loan tanks, unless it is fraud, there is usually a partial charge off - document well your conversations, analysis and collateral.

Like others have said, find a distracting hobby. One way might be to get a GoPro and look for some ideas on YouTube.

Return to Top
#2147679 - 09/26/17 08:31 PM Re: stress of the job Bbgreen
HRH Okie Banker Offline
Power Poster
Oklahoma
Also - don't close your eyes and hope the loan looks better next time you look at it. We've also seen those lenders and word gets out about those that do that. Most Special Asset Officers, Senior Lenders and Chief Credit Officers love to counsel and teach a lender willing to learn.

Return to Top
#2147732 - 09/27/17 01:11 PM Re: stress of the job Bbgreen
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
the best way to alleviate stress is learn to turn off work when you leave, and not turn it back on until you arrive. Deal with issues head on, rather than waiting until later. and outside of work, find a sport that allows you to run people down when playing, such as soccer, rugby, or lacrosse. nothing alleviates stress like mowing down an opponent.

Return to Top
#2147743 - 09/27/17 01:54 PM Re: stress of the job Bbgreen
MyBrainHurts Offline
Platinum Poster
Illinois
"find a sport that allows you to run people down when playing, such as soccer, rugby, or lacrosse. nothing alleviates stress like mowing down an opponent."

I've learned that this is discouraged when running 5Ks or half marathons.

Return to Top
#2147803 - 09/27/17 04:08 PM Re: stress of the job MyBrainHurts
DoS Offline
Gold Star
DoS
one state over
Originally Posted By MyBrainHurts
"find a sport that allows you to run people down when playing, such as soccer, rugby, or lacrosse. nothing alleviates stress like mowing down an opponent."

I've learned that this is discouraged when running 5Ks or half marathons.

...and shooting trap

"Strip the Flesh, Salt the Wound" - Krieg

Return to Top
#2148066 - 09/29/17 01:54 PM Re: stress of the job Bbgreen
ACBbank Offline
Power Poster
ACBbank
New York City
Not a lender, but running a massive remediation while building out a BSA Department for a Bank under a Consent Order. Other than drinking I would follow Happy's advice about turning off from work. If you can, try not to respond to emails or take calls after a certain time in the evening. Spend your time with family, friends or doing something you enjoy.

Stress will either kill you or lead to some other activity to cope which will kill you.

Return to Top
#2148075 - 09/29/17 02:19 PM Re: stress of the job Bbgreen
Sunshine Lady Offline
Platinum Poster
Sunshine Lady
Not a lender either, but in the BSA department. I believe that all jobs have stress and everyone has a point, you have to have an outlet. I do Yoga and Meditation because If I do not take care of myself no one else will. Sometimes the stress is not just on our jobs but in our families also and that makes it more important to take care of ourselves and have an outlet. Having someone to talk to also helps. They may not be able to solve your problems, but they can listen.

Return to Top
#2149492 - 10/11/17 10:25 PM Re: stress of the job Bbgreen
OldeTymeBanker Offline
' would tell you that if you don't any loan loss, you aren't doing enough loans. wink It's just part of the game.'

I used to be in collections. I remember being told how the company doesn't want complaints about you, but if they don't get any you obviously are not trying hard enough.

Return to Top
#2149519 - 10/12/17 01:59 PM Re: stress of the job OldeTymeBanker
Elwood P. Dowd Offline
10K Club
Elwood P. Dowd
Next to Harvey
Your first loan loss is like your first fender bender. It may be your fault. If so, you will learn from it. However, it's more likely that it will be completely random, something that you simply could not have avoided.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you don't owe...

Return to Top
#2165117 - 02/19/18 06:10 PM Re: stress of the job Bbgreen
LiveFunLife Offline
Stress should be handled like anything else. Find a solution that helps specific to you. I personally do not take work stress on as actual stress. If I do I go home and live life to make me happy. Find your release and repeat.

Return to Top
#2165199 - 02/20/18 06:56 PM Re: stress of the job LiveFunLife
Rocky P Offline
Power Poster
Florida
Get a doll. (example)

[url=Get a doll. (example) https://www.ebay.com/itm/12-Dammit-Doll-original-White-with-Orange-Red-Floral-Pattern-Orange-Hair/372227265998?hash=item56aa7955ce:g:rtwAAOSwCtJaixzZ:sc:USPSFirstClass!29073!US!-1]Doll on e-bay[/url]

Return to Top
#2165216 - 02/20/18 08:01 PM Re: stress of the job Bbgreen
TB 12 Offline
Power Poster
TB 12
Foxboro
As others have said, it isn't a matter of if, but when. Stuff happens. The key is learning from it and hopefully not letting it happen again.

Way back in the day (before computers) I approved a FHA loan in a county we rarely did business in. A couple weeks after closing I get a very nasty call from the VP of Secondary-I had exceeded the loan limit for that county by about 20k. We had to hold it on the books for quite a while before the borrower was eligible for a refi. That only happened one time.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z, John Burnett