Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Thread Options
#270299 - 11/03/04 03:54 PM Shingles???
Okie Dokie Offline
Platinum Poster
Okie Dokie
Last week, my daughter had a headache and other flu symtoms but no fever. This week she has a rash on and around her nose that has started to blister. I looked on "WebMD" and it kinda sounds like it could be shingles. Anyone know where I might could find other information. Or does anyone know something else that could possibly be wrong with her? She has a doctor's appointment this afternoon, and I like to have information before I go so that I can ask the right questions.

Return to Top
#270300 - 11/03/04 04:07 PM Re: Shingles???
Anonymous
Unregistered

My understanding is shingles is the same virus as chickenpox and I thought it laid dormant after having the chickenpox. So usually older audults have shingles. Never heard of it in a child, but I'm not in the medical field. I have heard that it is very painful. Could be a form of Herpes. She could have touched something that had that virus and spread it to herself.

Return to Top
#270301 - 11/03/04 04:10 PM Re: Shingles???
Okie Dokie Offline
Platinum Poster
Okie Dokie
She had chicken pox a few years ago.

Return to Top
#270302 - 11/03/04 04:17 PM Re: Shingles???
bam Offline
Gold Star
Kansas City, Mo
Quote:

She had chicken pox a few years ago.

Shingles can be very dangerous, if they are around the eyes. My mother had shingles two years ago in that areas. You should consult with your family Dr. NOW.

Return to Top
#270303 - 11/03/04 05:19 PM Re: Shingles???
Anonymous
Unregistered

I would also check out Impatigo....I've had it as a young adult and now have a nice scar on my cheek. Don't itch!
http://my.webmd.com/content/article/8/1680_54523.htm?lastselectedguid={5FE84E90-BC77-4056-A91C-9531713CA348}

Return to Top
#270304 - 11/03/04 07:19 PM Re: Shingles???
Nanwa Offline
Power Poster
Nanwa
Clintonville, WI, USA
You mean, don't scratch!

If she has shingles on her face IMMEDIATELY make an appointment with an optomologist. I had shingles three years ago on the upper left quadrant of my face, into my hairline. I had blisters accross my eyelid. I was told by the doctor that if I developed any trouble with my vision, to see an eye doctor. I developed double vision within a month, and went to the eye doc, but it was already too late, the virus had established itself in my eye. I am still dealing with it, three years later. I take an antiviral eye drop and a steroid eye drop two to four times a day, depending on how inflamed my eye gets each day. My cornea is scarred, and I will forever have blurred vision in that eye. The inflamation also raises the pressure in the eye, which can damage the optic nerve, causing blindness.

So, don't wait for problems to develop. Be proactive. I think if I started the antivirual drops sooner, all of this could have been alleviated.

Good luck!

Return to Top
#270305 - 11/03/04 10:01 PM Re: Shingles???
Okie Dokie Offline
Platinum Poster
Okie Dokie
She has an appointment with our family doctor this afternoon. If he says that it is in fact shingles, I will take her to the pediatric opthalmologist (sp?) that we go to in Tulsa. Hopefully, it will be something else, much simpler.

Return to Top
#270306 - 11/04/04 02:24 PM Re: Shingles???
Okie Dokie Offline
Platinum Poster
Okie Dokie
My daughter does not have shingles, but she does have impetigo. The doctor have her some antibiotics and a cream to rub on her nose 3 times a day.

Return to Top
#270307 - 11/04/04 03:28 PM Re: Shingles???
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

My daughter does not have shingles, but she does have impetigo. The doctor have her some antibiotics and a cream to rub on her nose 3 times a day.

Same anon here from above. Good to hear it wasn't shingles, but the minute I saw your post, I figured Impetigo. Good luck with things

Return to Top
#270308 - 11/04/04 04:34 PM Re: Shingles???
Nanwa Offline
Power Poster
Nanwa
Clintonville, WI, USA
I pray she gets better soon, with no scars to remind her or you of this medical scare!

Return to Top
#270309 - 11/04/04 09:34 PM Re: Shingles???
Andy_Z Offline
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
Whew. My dad had shingles about the same time as David Letterman a year or so ago. He doesn't usually complain, but said they were VERY painful. And he also had to go to a specific drug store because they were the only ones in our area who'd custom mix the prescription he needed.

So this sounds like good news even though I don't know what this one is.

Best of luck.
Rules and Regs minus Relationships equals Resentment and Rebellion. John Maxwell

Return to Top
#270310 - 11/05/04 02:49 PM Re: Shingles???
Okie Dokie Offline
Platinum Poster
Okie Dokie
Thanks. My daughter is feeling much better already. The rash was very painful and itchy, but with the medicine and cream she puts on it, it is getting better.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z, John Burnett