Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Thread Options
#284906 - 12/06/04 06:12 PM Update on brother in Iraq...
Viking Princess Offline
Platinum Poster
Viking Princess
Stockton, California
My brother contacted me today via email that his unit will be coming home sometime in Jan...late Jan...he said that coming home is almost more scary than being in Iraq. He said at least in Iraq they have backup - on the way home it's just them and their unit coming back. He has to stop in Kuwait, he said that their have been attacks on units coming home. He's really worried and asks for prayer. Please keep him in your thoughts and prayers as he makes his journey home, he's been gone for over a year! Thank you!

Return to Top
#284907 - 12/06/04 06:13 PM Re: Update on brother in Iraq...
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
Prayers for all of our brave men and women.

Return to Top
#284908 - 12/06/04 06:43 PM Re: Update on brother in Iraq...
Bengals Fan Offline
Power Poster
Bengals Fan
Cincinnati, OH
I try to remember to pray with my children every night for our families, our friends, and our guardians. I make a point of taking time to pray for everyone in harms way to protect us, whether they are in Iraq, Afghanistan, or anywhere else.

Return to Top
#284909 - 12/06/04 07:32 PM Re: Update on brother in Iraq...
Jokerman Offline
10K Club
Amen. May God bless them all.

Return to Top
#284910 - 12/06/04 08:05 PM Re: Update on brother in Iraq...
Czargazer Offline
Gold Star
Czargazer
Pacific Northwest
My brother-in-law just returned to the US a couple days ago from Iraq. He had the same story of how difficult it is to get out. In fact there was about a three week period of no communications from him because of how difficult it was to move his unit out of the country and into Kuwait.

Like many veterans, he's a changed person, I just only hope it's for the better.

Return to Top
#284911 - 12/06/04 08:18 PM Re: Update on brother in Iraq...
Viking Princess Offline
Platinum Poster
Viking Princess
Stockton, California
Right - they don't want them to be traceable, so my brother will have no contact once he leaves Iraq. He said he'll only be able to contact us once he reaches Germany - ...who knows how many days without contact are between that. Guess one can only pray for safety and hope for the best. But as many have said previously, pray for all in danger not just our soldiers

Return to Top
#284912 - 12/06/04 08:20 PM Re: Update on brother in Iraq...
PMH Offline
100 Club
Buffalo, NY
I know how you feel. My brother-in-law just came back to the states the week before Thanksgiving. I couldn't take time off around Thanksgiving or my husband & I would have driven to see him & his family in Georgia. He was very depressed while away and I think it would have helped to have us close by, but we'll just have to wait to see him. You and your brother are in my thoughts.

Return to Top
#284913 - 12/06/04 09:14 PM Re: Update on brother in Iraq...
QCL Offline
Power Poster
QCL
NW IL
Quote:

My brother contacted me today via email that his unit will be coming home sometime in Jan...late Jan...he said that coming home is almost more scary than being in Iraq. He said at least in Iraq they have backup - on the way home it's just them and their unit coming back. He has to stop in Kuwait, he said that their have been attacks on units coming home. He's really worried and asks for prayer. Please keep him in your thoughts and prayers as he makes his journey home, he's been gone for over a year! Thank you!

I'm not trying to make light of this - only hoping to give you a bit of peace. My sister and her finacé are in Kuwait (Camp Arifjan). They drive missions into and out of Iraq quite regularly. (They are in a Transportation Unit). So far so good. They have not been under attack during any of their travels in the desert and I pray the same for your brother!

BTW a bit of Kuwait trivia. My sis sent home pictures. It's called Pizza Inn over there instead of Pizza Hut!

Return to Top
#284914 - 12/06/04 09:31 PM Re: Update on brother in Iraq...
Jokerman Offline
10K Club
And what do they call Pizza Inn?

Return to Top
#284915 - 12/06/04 09:57 PM Re: Update on brother in Iraq...
QCL Offline
Power Poster
QCL
NW IL
Now I'm confused. There is a Pizza Inn?
The sign she took a picture of looked exactly like the Pizza Hut logo only it said Pizza Inn instead. Next to it was a Baskin-Robbins.

Return to Top
#284916 - 12/06/04 10:17 PM Re: Update on brother in Iraq...
Viking Princess Offline
Platinum Poster
Viking Princess
Stockton, California
Hmm - I'll have to tell my brother to look for it I'm sure he'd love some Pizza Inn or Pizza Hut...although I'm sure he could careless what it's called as long as it was pizza ...lol

Return to Top
#284917 - 12/06/04 10:42 PM Re: Update on brother in Iraq...
Jokerman Offline
10K Club
Quote:

Now I'm confused. There is a Pizza Inn?

There is a Pizza Inn in Peoria and four others around Illinois.

Pizza Hut is a different restaurant. I couldn't tell you what the signs might look like overseas.

I, however, am "blessed" with both right here in my home town.

Return to Top
#284918 - 12/07/04 09:36 PM Re: Update on brother in Iraq...
Beagles22 Offline
Power Poster
State of confusion
My boss' husband leaves for Kuwait next week, been training down south for 5 weeks. Perhaps taking the place of your brave brother! My prayers are with you, your brother, and my boss' family.

Return to Top
#284919 - 12/27/04 05:20 PM Re: Update on brother in Iraq...
Viking Princess Offline
Platinum Poster
Viking Princess
Stockton, California
Good news - My brother finally called and said he was in Kuwait, he's making the journey home. Due to the elections coming up they wanted to get as many marines that have been there for awhile out. My brother has been there a year so he's coming home. We have been worried sick because he was suppose to call last week and let us know he was in Kuwait. The journey from Iraq to Kuwait is almost more dangerous than being in Iraq. At any rate, he said he had been moved somewhere else for a few days due to the attacks going on around them. He's fine and almost home. Thank you for your prayers. It's not over yet, but...almost! I hope everyone's loved ones over there had as good a Christmas as they possibly could.

Return to Top
#284920 - 12/27/04 05:35 PM Re: Update on brother in Iraq...
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
Glad to hear it...

Return to Top
#284921 - 12/28/04 05:15 PM Re: Update on brother in Iraq...
Beagles22 Offline
Power Poster
State of confusion
Let us know when you have your arms around him for your first hug, I am sure you won't be relaxed until then!

Return to Top
#284922 - 12/28/04 06:13 PM Re: Update on brother in Iraq...
Viking Princess Offline
Platinum Poster
Viking Princess
Stockton, California
Unfortunately that might be longer than I had hoped. I'm in Cali and he'll be coming into the Carolina's.... but hoping to make a trip as soon as possible or he might come out my way. I'm sure he'll have R&R time...I'll keep you posted.

Return to Top
#284923 - 12/30/04 12:47 PM Re: Update on brother in Iraq...
Richard Insley Offline
10K Club
Richard Insley
Toano, VA
At the moment, it looks like San Jose is your cheapest departure point for flights to Charlotte. (You didn't mention what part of the Carolina's, but CLT is a good choice.) If you're looking at weekends of Jan 7-10 or Jan 14-18, RT fare is $242 on several airlines. That's dirt cheap. Raleigh-Durham is $25 more and Fayetteville is $70 more.

Pack your winter clothes, but don't worry about the weather unless you see a storm headed that way from the southwest.

Return to Top
#284924 - 12/30/04 04:51 PM Re: Update on brother in Iraq...
Viking Princess Offline
Platinum Poster
Viking Princess
Stockton, California
Ah thanks Richard - my brother lives in Wilmington, NC and my other family lives in Columbia/Bft SC. I usually fly into Charlotte and drive to either place.

Still no word on his whereabouts, spoke with my mom yesterday and she said she's sitting by the phone waiting for his call to say he's in the states. They are picking him up from the airport in Ga. Can't wait - sitting on pins and needles.

Return to Top
#284925 - 12/31/04 05:13 PM Re: Update on brother in Iraq...
Viking Princess Offline
Platinum Poster
Viking Princess
Stockton, California
Apparently my mom received word that my brother was re-routed to Asia to assis with the clean-up process from the Tsunami's. Looks like his trip home will be delayed just a bit. However, we're proud of him that he's not only serving his country but also the countries around us that need assistance. He wasn't upset in the least that his trip was delayed, he knows what he has to do. That's my brother(beaming with pride and respect)

Return to Top
#284926 - 12/31/04 05:16 PM Re: Update on brother in Iraq...
deppfan Offline
Power Poster
All over the map.
Very Cool. Beam away and we will join you.

Return to Top
#284927 - 12/31/04 06:02 PM Re: Update on brother in Iraq...
Beagles22 Offline
Power Poster
State of confusion
That is my idea of a hero. Spending his time serving our country and on his way home, being given another assignment and being proud to do it. When he gets home tell him how proud we all are as citizens of the country he is serving.

Return to Top
#284928 - 12/31/04 06:05 PM Re: Update on brother in Iraq...
Viking Princess Offline
Platinum Poster
Viking Princess
Stockton, California
Will do - I can't wait to see him. He IS my hero....

Return to Top
#284929 - 12/31/04 06:39 PM Re: Update on brother in Iraq...
MelissaAnn Offline
Platinum Poster
MelissaAnn
Washington State
I don't want to hijack your thread, I just thought I would tell my story also. My brother in law joined the USMC last February, and when he finished bootcamp he went to Pensicula, Florida. His training there is for 14 months, but because of the hurricanes the school was ruined so he still has not started. He will be well into his 2nd year before he starts school. We pray everyday that the troops are out of Iraq by the time he finishes school so that he doesn't have to go oversees. He went in, wanting to be stationed there. He feels that he should be there rather then the men with wifes and children. I know it is very selfish of us (his family) to not want him to go, but we can't help it. He is 18, a great kid, and very proud to serve his country... We are so proud of him.

Return to Top
#284930 - 12/31/04 06:47 PM Re: Update on brother in Iraq...
Viking Princess Offline
Platinum Poster
Viking Princess
Stockton, California
Not a problem MelissaAnn - will keep your brother in my prayers. I have had several family members over there ranging from 17-26...a scary thing.

Return to Top
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderator:  Andy_Z, John Burnett