Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Thread Options
#415663 - 08/29/05 09:22 PM paying off debt
Anonymous
Unregistered

I am trying to pay off credit card debt and was wondering what other people's experience has been with this. Any good companies you could suggest?

Return to Top
#415664 - 08/29/05 11:00 PM Re: paying off debt
Anonymous
Unregistered

We were able to pay ours off through our local credit union. We just took out a loan to consolidate everything. Of course you need to have collateral to do it that way. If you have equity in your home, that would be another option. If you don't have the collateral, there some credit counselling services that can help.

Return to Top
#415665 - 08/29/05 11:06 PM Re: paying off debt
Rocky P Online
Power Poster
Florida
If you are in serious trouble, find a non-profit member of Consumer Credit Counseling. Don't use a company that will "fix" things for you. They get rich at your expense.

Some other hints, start paying in cash, turn in the cards or shred them. You might want to save one, put it in a ziplock bag with water and place it in the freezer. It will reduce impulse buying.

Oh, don't use a company that will "fix" things - find a non-profit member of Consumer Credit Counseling. They'll work on the long term repair. (It was worth repeating.)

Return to Top
#415666 - 08/30/05 05:40 PM Re: paying off debt
Anonymous
Unregistered

If you are wanting to do it yourself, here is a good website: www.daveramsey.com/

Dave uses the "debt snowball" method of paying off debt. It works.

Return to Top
#415667 - 08/30/05 05:58 PM Re: paying off debt
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

You might want to save one, put it in a ziplock bag with water and place it in the freezer. It will reduce impulse buying.

Oh my goodness... that is hilarious! What smart thinking! I guess by the time the credit card "unfreezes", your urge to impulse buy has passed. How neat!

Return to Top
#415668 - 08/30/05 09:30 PM Re: paying off debt
Anonymous
Unregistered

Or you can freeze it in juice and have a nice popcicle while you wait!

Just Kidding.

Return to Top
#415669 - 09/01/05 10:02 PM Re: paying off debt
beaconpaul Offline
100 Club
beaconpaul
Minnesota
I like the debt snowball approach. Save 10% of your budget and add it to the smallest debt, when that is paid off, you take the 10% and the old payment and add it to the next smallest payment. I used this, it works. But you need to be disciplined and not use more credit cards and all that stuff, which was the hardest part. I also like it because no one else makes money off of you, like a "company". Good luck.

Return to Top
#415670 - 09/02/05 03:22 AM Re: paying off debt
Kathleen O. Blanchard Offline

10K Club
Kathleen O. Blanchard
For credit cards and similar debt, you actually pay less in the long run by paying off the highest interest rate cards first.
www.kaybeescomplianceinsights.com

Return to Top
#415671 - 09/02/05 11:31 AM Re: paying off debt
Hrothgar Geiger Offline
10K Club
Hrothgar Geiger
Jersey Shore
Kaybee's right. Somewhere I have an excel spreadsheet that prioritizes credit card debt based on balance, interest rate, and one other factor that just escaped me. I'll look it up later at home.

Return to Top
#415672 - 09/02/05 07:10 PM Re: paying off debt
Nanwa Offline
Power Poster
Nanwa
Clintonville, WI, USA
For future reference so you do not get stuck in this situation again:

Cut up all the credit cards except one for emergencies. Do not charge anything unless you already have that amount in your checking account. When you charge an amount on your card, immediately deduct that amount from your balance in your checking account, so you will always know exactly how much free cash you have available. Get a debit card if you don't want to write checks or carry alot of cash around to pay for things.

And make this your mantra: "debt is bad...debt is bad...debt is bad...."

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z, John Burnett