BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Thread Options
#1087078 - 11/24/08 08:04 PM Endometrial Ablation
~MunQue~ Offline
Platinum Poster
~MunQue~
HERE! I'm here!
Has anyone ever had this done, or know anyone that's had this done? It takes forever to get a hold of my gyno and I'd really love to hear personal experiences, to better prepare me for the conversation with my doctor.

What it is, is where they go in and burn your insides to help stop excessive bleeding and usually stop your period all together.

Thanks for any advice, thoughts or experiences you'd like to share.

Return to Top
#1087150 - 11/24/08 09:07 PM Re: Endometrial Ablation ~MunQue~
East Texas Offline
Diamond Poster
East Texas
I am not sure if it's the same thing, but my sister had her uterus frozen (cryo-something?)along with her ovaries. Her doctor said it is similar to a chemical hysterectomy. She had cramping and pain for a few days along with some pretty heavy bleeding, but since then she has had much fewer problems.

Return to Top
#1087152 - 11/24/08 09:08 PM Re: Endometrial Ablation ~MunQue~
cheekEE Offline
Power Poster
Easy Street
My friend was going to have it done, but she ended up having a Hysterectomy. It is offered my a major womans hospital here in town.

Return to Top
#1087167 - 11/24/08 09:18 PM Re: Endometrial Ablation cheekEE
MyKidsMom Offline
Platinum Poster
MyKidsMom
TEXAS
Best thing ever! I had it done about 4 years ago. No pain, no suffering, no periods. Go for it.

Return to Top
#1087173 - 11/24/08 09:20 PM Re: Endometrial Ablation cheekEE
~MunQue~ Offline
Platinum Poster
~MunQue~
HERE! I'm here!
The freezing is kind of the same thing, from what I understand, but with the burning, everything scars up so your not supposed to have periods anymore. I looked everything up on line, and sounds pretty straight forward, except that it works better on older women than on younger women. I'm 28, I don't know what group I'm in.

I know two people that have had it done, one thought it was the greatest thing in the world and was up and around the next day. The other was bedridden for a week and had to have her husband help her to the bathroom because it hurt so bad to move. That's what scares me, I have three kids and I'm single, there's no way I can be bedridden for any amount of time.

Return to Top
#1087175 - 11/24/08 09:21 PM Re: Endometrial Ablation ~MunQue~
~MunQue~ Offline
Platinum Poster
~MunQue~
HERE! I'm here!
txbkr- you were up and back to normal right away??

Return to Top
#1087184 - 11/24/08 09:30 PM Re: Endometrial Ablation ~MunQue~
MyKidsMom Offline
Platinum Poster
MyKidsMom
TEXAS
yes, I can't take anethesia, so I threw up for several hours after I woke up. I was sore from that, otherwise, I would have been back at work the next day. I was 39 or 40, when I had it done.

Return to Top
#1087186 - 11/24/08 09:31 PM Re: Endometrial Ablation ~MunQue~
Weeble Woman Offline
Washington State
I had it done a little over a year ago and it was one of the best things I've ever done for myself! I was up and around the next day like nothing happened. The hardest part over the next few months was waiting for "it" to start, but it never did. The procedure is relatively inexpensive too.

Return to Top
#1087235 - 11/24/08 09:55 PM Re: Endometrial Ablation Weeble Woman
Countess Kiwi Offline
Diamond Poster
Minnesota
My friend had it done a few years ago and she was off one day from work and has had no issues as far as I know. She had to take it easy for a week, if I remember correctly, but that was it.

Return to Top
#1087410 - 11/25/08 12:50 PM Re: Endometrial Ablation Countess Kiwi
TINKerBell Offline
Power Poster
TINKerBell
Tiger's Den!
My sis in law had it done two years ago after many years of horrible bleeding. No more pain or bleeding. Sure beats the recovery time of a hysterectomy!

Return to Top
#1087430 - 11/25/08 01:10 PM Re: Endometrial Ablation TINKerBell
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
It sounds like I want one... crazy

Return to Top
#1087436 - 11/25/08 01:27 PM Re: Endometrial Ablation Retired DQ
Tigg Offline
Power Poster
Tigg
Looking for My Happy Place....
If this is the procedure with the balloon, it was recommended to a co-worker of mine. I will have to tell her the great results everyone seems to be having with it. Maybe she will feel better about having it done.

My opinion only.

Return to Top
#1087519 - 11/25/08 03:10 PM Re: Endometrial Ablation Tigg
Basket Lady Offline
I had the Novasure ablation done a year ago in conjunction with a D&C. Best thing I've ever done. No more periods, no more anemia. I'm a blood donor again for the first time in 20 years.

Mine was done under anesthesia, but some doctors will do it in the office. I was in the Surgery Center a total of 3 hours. Had mild cramping the rest of the day, that's all.

Edited to add: My doctor stressed that there is no guarantee that your periods will stop completely. A friend had the same procedure done but has a very light period each month. It is possible that the endometrium will heal from the burn and periods could start again months or years later. If so, the ablation can be done again.
Last edited by Basket Lady; 11/25/08 03:14 PM.
Return to Top
#1087577 - 11/25/08 04:22 PM Re: Endometrial Ablation Basket Lady
Dlynn58 Offline
Platinum Poster
Texas
I had it done on October 27. Mine was also done under anesthesia. I had it done on a Monday morning and was back at work the next day. I have had no problems at all. It is still to early to see exactly what will be the final outcome will be until a few months have passed. So far, it has been great. To think of a very light or no period.... WhoooHooo!!!

Return to Top
#1087681 - 11/25/08 05:37 PM Re: Endometrial Ablation ~MunQue~
GLL Offline
100 Club
KY
Three co-workers have had it done. Two have had periods since the procedure but they have not been as bad as before.

Return to Top
#1087688 - 11/25/08 05:41 PM Re: Endometrial Ablation Dlynn58
Buddy the Elf Offline
Platinum Poster
Buddy the Elf
first lily pad on the right
I had a friend who had it done and says it was the best thing she ever did. I'm going to ask my gynecologist about it these next time I go in.

Return to Top
#1088144 - 11/26/08 12:16 AM Re: Endometrial Ablation Buddy the Elf
~MunQue~ Offline
Platinum Poster
~MunQue~
HERE! I'm here!
I made an appointment with my gyno for the 19th to see if it will work for me, I guess there could be problems because I have fibroids on my uterus and it's tilted, and she said that more than likely, because of my age I will have to get it done again in a few years.

Thanks so much for all the comments, I had no idea this was such a popular surgery.

Return to Top
#1088631 - 11/26/08 07:22 PM Re: Endometrial Ablation ~MunQue~
Basket Lady Offline
Originally Posted By: ~MQ~
I made an appointment with my gyno for the 19th to see if it will work for me, I guess there could be problems because I have fibroids on my uterus and it's tilted, and she said that more than likely, because of my age I will have to get it done again in a few years.

Thanks so much for all the comments, I had no idea this was such a popular surgery.

My friend had fibroids too. Her gyno removed them and then did the ablation in the same session. She's only had slight periods since.

It may be so popular because both the insurance companies and consumers benefit. Conditions that used to require hysterectomy are now being treated with ablation. Cheaper, safer, much shorter recovery time, less painful - can you tell I'm a big fan grin

The only thing I don't like is that some insurance companies won't cover hysterectomies for abnormal bleeding and other conditions unless an ablation has been tried first and failed. That decision should be between the doctor and patient, IMO.

BTW - a woman shouldn't have a ablation until she is certain she doesn't want children/more children. It's apparently possible to become pregnant after the ablation, but definitely not a good thing.

Return to Top
#1088642 - 11/26/08 07:28 PM Re: Endometrial Ablation Basket Lady
~MunQue~ Offline
Platinum Poster
~MunQue~
HERE! I'm here!
I have three kids and have been tied for the past 5 years. And I promise you, there will be no more children. If there were anymore, I'd have to move out and just let them have the house. smile

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z, John Burnett