Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Thread Options
#1731159 - 08/15/12 04:53 PM what to say to someone dying
Trees Offline
Power Poster
I've sent get well cards.....and sympathy cards.

I learned that a former work friend is dying....soon.

We cannot call and visit. Told to send a card. I am agonizing about what to say in the card. I will try to find a blank card or maybe thinking of you....but, well, I am open as to what to say. I don't really just want to sign my name but, then again, maybe that is what is best.

Suggestions needed.

Return to Top
#1731168 - 08/15/12 05:07 PM Re: what to say to someone dying Trees
QCL Offline
Power Poster
QCL
NW IL
Bless you for trying.
When a co-worker passed from cancer after a long fight, I found myself freezing at the end. I ended up just following my heart. I thanked her for her friendship and for being a part of my life.

I think if you follow your heart in this, you can't go wrong.

Return to Top
#1731170 - 08/15/12 05:10 PM Re: what to say to someone dying Trees
Matt_B Offline
Diamond Poster
Matt_B
A CU, Where Regs Don't Apply
Is this a person with a sense of humor? Or someone you may have shared a "I'll always remember" type of memory with? I think I'd be more comforted by someone remembering good times with me instead of just acknowledging the fact that I'm not doing well. That's me though. Or thank them for something you learned from them, if there ever was that sort of opportunity. It's not a secret to them that they're near then end I'm sure, so focus on the past and the best parts of them and I'd bet they would appreciate the thoughts.

A tough situation, definitely. We have a former custodian that's dealing with terminal cancer, always tough to try to figure out something worthwhile to say that hasn't been seen in a dozen other cards already.

Return to Top
#1731266 - 08/15/12 06:10 PM Re: what to say to someone dying Trees
Summer Nights Offline
New Poster
Summer Nights
Land of the Green & Gold
I agree with the thanking them for something you learned or just for remebering some good times, not only will they appreciate the thoughts but I think it will also bring comfort to their family, to realize that their loved one touched others. Always from the heart and you can't go wrong.

Return to Top
#1731393 - 08/15/12 07:52 PM Re: what to say to someone dying Trees
Trees Offline
Power Poster
Good points. Thanks. Some memories came quickly to mind.

Return to Top
#1731442 - 08/15/12 08:34 PM Re: what to say to someone dying Trees
BurntSienna Offline
Diamond Poster
Midwest
With a couple of relatives who have died recently, I thanked them sincerely for a gift that they gave me and for something that they once said to me long ago that meant a lot at a difficult time in my life. In both cases, the dying relative did not remember the kindness that meant so much to me, but they were deeply touched that I remembered and thanked me for sharing that with them. It was difficult to figure out what to say, but I spoke from the heart, and when they both died, I felt good about having said what was most important: thank you... I love you... you made a huge difference in my life... I'm so glad I have had the opportunity to know you. I also said, "I will miss you when you are gone." And they both said it was nice that someone came right out and said that, because they both knew they were dying and yet nobody would come right out and talk about it.

Be strong, Trees. I will keep you and your friend in my prayers. You are a good person for agonizing about what to say. Don't let it freeze you up from saying something. Anything that feels right to you and is from your heart will be so meaningful and so important to your friend. smile

Return to Top
#1731502 - 08/16/12 02:44 AM Re: what to say to someone dying Trees
Truffle Royale Offline

10K Club
I find that I stumble if I try writing directly to a card.
It always works for me if I just sit down at my computer or with a pad, think of the person for a moment and write whatever comes to mind.
Then I read it over and edit or enhance as necessary.
Then I copy it to the card.
Honestly, some of my best writing, etc, happens when I'm laying in bed waiting to sleep. Probably because I stop trying and just let it happen.

Kudos for you for wanting to say whatever the 'right' thing is in a situation like this.

Return to Top
#1731635 - 08/16/12 03:00 PM Re: what to say to someone dying Trees
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
something simple as "you'll always be in my heart and memories" would suffice...

sadly, there is no template on what to say, so your relationship, history, term and depth of friendship will drive what you say...doesn't need to be deep, just needs to be from the heart

Return to Top
#1731664 - 08/16/12 03:42 PM Re: what to say to someone dying Trees
Trees Offline
Power Poster
I spent the better part of an hour trying to find the right card, something that would spark a memory. The person was an avid sailor for many years and had a beautiful sailboat. I found a card justly with a sailboat on the front. I wrote my thoughts down on paper first, as one of you did. I said he was in my heart and then I added some thoughts about our chats on many topics and the reminded him that he got me to believe that I really could enjoy snowshoeing with the new models. I am a great one for saying "I just don't think I can..." He said, for G__'s sake, just try.

I hope this brings him some warm thoughts. I feel better. Its just so awful to see where somebody's body betrays them so hideously - and the person is so young, had so many interests, had a lot to share and so many plans to do more. darn it.

Return to Top
#1732317 - 08/17/12 03:50 PM Re: what to say to someone dying Trees
B_F Offline
Power Poster
B_F
Cincinnati, OH
Don't just focus on the past, focus on the future. Knowing that the people they love will be ok eventually, and that they are about to start a new life with Christ is just as important.
Last edited by B_F; 08/17/12 03:51 PM.
Return to Top
#1732339 - 08/17/12 04:20 PM Re: what to say to someone dying Trees
manimal Offline
Diamond Poster
manimal
Deleted
A close friend of mine once told me that no one ever really dies, they live on through the lives that they have touched. Their children, family, and friends, all of them have been effected somehow. And that legacy never dies.

I'm sure your words will bring comfort and joy to him. It's such a shame the world is losing him. frown

Innerpartysystem

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z, John Burnett