BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Thread Options
#1781736 - 01/31/13 06:07 PM Facebook and Teens
Doin it right Offline
100 Club
Up North
My teen (14) posted a not so nice message on Facebook about her parents. I think it's time to take access away, along with the computer and her iPhone. Anybody want to weigh in?

Return to Top
#1781739 - 01/31/13 06:10 PM Re: Facebook and Teens Doin it right
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
I certainly would take e-access away.

Return to Top
#1781743 - 01/31/13 06:13 PM Re: Facebook and Teens Doin it right
RR Jen Offline
Power Poster
RR Jen
Running and riding everywhere ...
That's a personal choice. The kids dad and I disagreed strongly on it though.

He wanted to take all access away from our daughter the first time she posted something inappropriate.

I am more of the opinion that Facebook/Twitter is the world our children live in. Instead of taking it away, I feel it's my responsibility to teach them how to use it appropriately. I had all passwords as long as she lived under my roof and monitored her activity, including private messges on occasion. She was "grounded" from it at times, but would always have to correct the things I felt inappropriate. She deleted multiple posts and sent private messages with apologies. In my experience, you can not take access away. Sure you can take the phone and computer at your house, but they can get to it at school or the library or a friends house if they really want to.

Just my point. Good luck with it!

Return to Top
#1781748 - 01/31/13 06:21 PM Re: Facebook and Teens Doin it right
kms Offline
Power Poster
kms
God Bless America
I have to agree with Jen. I have all my boys passwords and they are not allowed to block me or their dad from seeing their posts. My younger two have not gotten in trouble as of yet over anything but the oldest has lost his phone and pc over things he has posted. Normally it is a rant about his dad but I make him remove anything I don't find appropriate. He has gotten a lot better now that he is friends with his grandma on there!!!

Return to Top
#1781782 - 01/31/13 07:04 PM Re: Facebook and Teens Doin it right
Bankbb1, PITA Offline
Bankbb1, PITA
The Sovereign State Of Oklahom...
My kids (all adult at this point) always knew that I had complete access to their accounts (same as Jen)phones computer email, whatever. If they posted something inappropraiate, they already knew I woulld punish them just as I would for any other infraction in life. "Inappropriate" can range from mean and hateful, bad language or even just giving out information they shouldn't. Correcting their behavior is my job and for their benefit. Not for my convenience.
I'm afraid that I dont believe in a child's right to privacy. It's not a right, it is a priveledge to be earned...or lost.

Return to Top
#1781789 - 01/31/13 07:14 PM Re: Facebook and Teens Doin it right
kms Offline
Power Poster
kms
God Bless America
My 10 yr old tried to tell me he had a right to privacy when I was reading notes he left in his jeans pockets. I hadn't had that good of a laugh in a long time!!

Return to Top
#1781792 - 01/31/13 07:19 PM Re: Facebook and Teens Doin it right
edAudit Offline
Power Poster
edAudit
You are here
Did you ask when was it posted in the federal register?

CAMS

Return to Top
#1781829 - 01/31/13 08:11 PM Re: Facebook and Teens Doin it right
waldensouth Offline
Power Poster
waldensouth
FINALLY ABOVE the gnat line
Kid wonder has been struggling with a couple of her classes this year so Facebook is not an option for her. She doens't know how to disengage from FB to work on homework. She set up a fake account - said she was 20 - and left it open for the whole world....... guys from all over the country were sending her pictures of their private parts. Not acceptable...

I told her she could set up a legitimate account once she brought her grades up and we would work on it this summer.

- Frederick Douglass

My Opinion Only.

Return to Top
#1781831 - 01/31/13 08:11 PM Re: Facebook and Teens Doin it right
Pale Rider Offline
10K Club
Pale Rider
under the Lone Star
My kids have my passwords but they won't share theirs and won't friend me either!

They are older than most of the posters here so there isn't much I can do about it.

Return to Top
#1781901 - 01/31/13 09:52 PM Re: Facebook and Teens Pale Rider
edAudit Offline
Power Poster
edAudit
You are here
Originally Posted By: Pale Rider
My kids have my passwords but they won't share theirs and won't friend me either!

They are older than most of the posters here so there isn't much I can do about it.

Are your kids tring to sell your car without your knowledge on facebook? I saw someone posting someting about a car in texas. laugh

CAMS

Return to Top
#1781980 - 02/01/13 12:30 PM Re: Facebook and Teens Doin it right
B_F Offline
Power Poster
B_F
Cincinnati, OH
Originally Posted By: Doin it right
My teen (14) posted a not so nice message on Facebook about her parents. I think it's time to take access away, along with the computer and her iPhone. Anybody want to weigh in?

Short term grounding from such things, along with a teaching moment about what the problem is sounds appropriate.

Return to Top
#1781991 - 02/01/13 01:19 PM Re: Facebook and Teens Doin it right
Dani York, CRCM Offline
Power Poster
Dani York, CRCM
TN
You could always do what this guy did....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kl1ujzRidmU&feature=youtu.be

Return to Top
#1782054 - 02/01/13 03:31 PM Re: Facebook and Teens Doin it right
Bankbb1, PITA Offline
Bankbb1, PITA
The Sovereign State Of Oklahom...
grin

Return to Top
#1782314 - 02/01/13 08:49 PM Re: Facebook and Teens Doin it right
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
I always find it funny when parents state they "have all the kids accounts, passwords etc". You don't parents, you don't. Trust me, they can have multiple email accounts, give you the tame ones. Same with facebook...they give you the generic one under their name, and open 4 more accounts under nicknames...

they're kids, being inappropriate is part of growing up. they need to make mistakes and learn from them...let them do that people, let them learn to problem solve

Return to Top
#1782336 - 02/01/13 09:16 PM Re: Facebook and Teens Doin it right
waldensouth Offline
Power Poster
waldensouth
how very true.........

- Frederick Douglass

My Opinion Only.

Return to Top
#1782339 - 02/01/13 09:18 PM Re: Facebook and Teens Doin it right
waldensouth Offline
Power Poster
waldensouth
What is so hysterical about Kid Wonder, she will get my smart phone, pull up her fake fb account and then not signout. so when I go to look at my fb acct on the phone - hers comes up instead....... I will always catch her - sooner or later.

- Frederick Douglass

My Opinion Only.

Return to Top
#1782342 - 02/01/13 09:23 PM Re: Facebook and Teens Doin it right
Dani York, CRCM Offline
Power Poster
Dani York, CRCM
TN
Agreed. Kids are kids and they will do stupid stuff. I have my son's passwords and routinely check his page and messages just to see if there is anything I need to address with him. For my step-daughters, I visit their pages regularly as a friend (I don't have their passwords) just to see if there is anything that should be brought up to mommy (who does not pay attention at all). Mostly I'm concerned about them posting too much personal info (one had their street address visible on their profile info and routinely accepts friend requests from strangers) or things that could come back to bite them later (one likes to take full body shots of herself standing in front of a mirror in her skimpy pjs and post them). Had to have several conversations about how those things are dangerous and or damaging to their reputations later on. Lately, they've cleaned up their act, except that the older one likes to dis people in her status updates almost to the point of cyber-bullying. Daddy will be having a discussion with her about not being a cyber-bully next weekend.....

Return to Top
#1782386 - 02/01/13 10:24 PM Re: Facebook and Teens waldensouth
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Originally Posted By: waldensouth
What is so hysterical about Kid Wonder, she will get my smart phone, pull up her fake fb account and then not signout. so when I go to look at my fb acct on the phone - hers comes up instead....... I will always catch her - sooner or later.

oh Walden, if you only were devious...what she actually has is 2 fake accounts (if not more), the one she "really" uses, and the other one that she leaves for you to "find". You're all happy thinking you've busted her and she is contrite about "won't do it again Mom." You walk away happy, she walks away happy pulling another fast one on you.

(as a former devious child, possibly i should start a business to enlighten parents on how devious their little ones can really be)

Return to Top
#1782467 - 02/04/13 01:59 PM Re: Facebook and Teens Doin it right
waldensouth Offline
Power Poster
waldensouth
uh oh...... Actually, she's just not that devious - not unless her personality has totally changed. She has never been able to get away with stuff for too long.

- Frederick Douglass

My Opinion Only.

Return to Top
#1782468 - 02/04/13 02:01 PM Re: Facebook and Teens Doin it right
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
this reminds me of a former co-workers tennage son who was grounded from his phone, so he asked his mom if he could use her phone, and left all the sexting messages he sent and received from the girl on the phone...yeah, often times kids aren't too bright...

Return to Top
#1782485 - 02/04/13 02:46 PM Re: Facebook and Teens Doin it right
cheekEE Offline
Power Poster
Easy Street
That is awesome!! Kids.

Return to Top
#1782549 - 02/04/13 04:06 PM Re: Facebook and Teens Doin it right
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
I wonder at what age they get common sense?

Return to Top
#1782553 - 02/04/13 04:16 PM Re: Facebook and Teens Doin it right
cheekEE Offline
Power Poster
Easy Street
I think I was about 30. laugh

Return to Top
#1782557 - 02/04/13 04:22 PM Re: Facebook and Teens Doin it right
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
my Dad would say older than that...talking about my siblings, of course...i was born with it...

Return to Top
#1782561 - 02/04/13 04:26 PM Re: Facebook and Teens Retired DQ
manimal Offline
Diamond Poster
manimal
Deleted
Originally Posted By: DeeQ
I wonder at what age they get common sense?

whistle

Innerpartysystem

Return to Top
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderator:  Andy_Z, John Burnett