Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Thread Options
#2215153 - 06/06/19 05:04 PM Whole house security system?
HRH Okie Banker Offline
Power Poster
Oklahoma
We need a security system at my house. We are in a rural community and live out of town limits. There is now so much theft going on in our county and surrounding counties. Trailers and farming equipment...vehicles and ATVs. So, those of you that have systems can you tell me what you use? Thanks

Return to Top
#2215157 - 06/06/19 05:10 PM Re: Whole house security system? HRH Okie Banker
Peepers Offline
10K Club
Smith & Wesson, though you may not want to use that for property thefts.

Return to Top
#2215162 - 06/06/19 05:20 PM Re: Whole house security system? HRH Okie Banker
HRH Okie Banker Offline
Power Poster
Oklahoma
We have that covered but the dogs have a hard time with S&W. What can we use when we are not home?

Return to Top
#2215164 - 06/06/19 05:21 PM Re: Whole house security system? HRH Okie Banker
Skittles Offline
10K Club
Skittles
TN
We put Vivint in our house about 5 years ago before we moved in (someone tried to break in while the house was empty); however I'm looking at Simply Safe to possibly change. The monitoring we're currently paying is just over $50 per month and Simply Safe is $15 with no contract.

Return to Top
#2215167 - 06/06/19 05:27 PM Re: Whole house security system? HRH Okie Banker
HRH Okie Banker Offline
Power Poster
Oklahoma
I too am looking into Simplisafe. It looks like it would work. I thought, then, I would check and see what others might have.

Return to Top
#2215170 - 06/06/19 05:33 PM Re: Whole house security system? HRH Okie Banker
Skittles Offline
10K Club
Skittles
TN
We don't have a home phone and Vivint works well, although truth-be-told since we moved down here with our loud dogs (two very vocal shelties) we haven't turned it on. It does, however, let us know about tornado warnings, weather alerts, etc.

Return to Top
#2215188 - 06/06/19 08:33 PM Re: Whole house security system? HRH Okie Banker
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
i have a friend that owns a fairly rural piece of property, and he swears by his 2 Russian Ovcharkas...stay within the confines of the property, but no one is getting in without your permission

Return to Top
#2215191 - 06/06/19 09:00 PM Re: Whole house security system? HRH Okie Banker
HRH Okie Banker Offline
Power Poster
Oklahoma
Holy moley! I wouldn't want to be on top of their grooming! Well, I swear to you that my mastiff and my rott are not coming out of the their heated/air conditioned well house to greet "visitors". I think we it is well known in our area that we have 5 dogs but I think we need more coverage.

Return to Top
#2215247 - 06/07/19 04:36 PM Re: Whole house security system? HRH Okie Banker
Truffle Royale Offline

10K Club
That is the first time I've ever heard of anyone actually owning an Overcharkian. Hubs has talked about if he ever got a dog it would be an Overcharkian but I veto it every time.

Waiting to hear what others chime in with on security systems...the kind you plug in, I mean.

Return to Top
#2215251 - 06/07/19 04:58 PM Re: Whole house security system? HRH Okie Banker
RockChucker, CAMS Offline
Diamond Poster
The Country
We have Vivent and it is fine but I can't wait to be out of the contract as they are way overpriced. I too am looking into simply safe as well as ring. Anyone know if Google has designed a good security system?

Return to Top
#2215252 - 06/07/19 05:00 PM Re: Whole house security system? HRH Okie Banker
David Dickinson Offline
10K Club
David Dickinson
Central City, NE
I was not familiar with an Overcharkian, so I googled it. Holy [censored], it looks like a lion!

Seriously, I use iRing. We have one on our front door and one mounted in the garage. It's about $100 per year to have video for both. I'm really happy with their video quality. I would check them out.
https://ring.com

Return to Top
#2215253 - 06/07/19 05:06 PM Re: Whole house security system? HRH Okie Banker
Skittles Offline
10K Club
Skittles
TN
Although I'm not the original poster, we can't use Ring or similar. Our internet is horrible and we don't have the bandwidth. Our electric cooperative is running fiber optic locally now, so when we get that we might get similar external cameras.

Return to Top
#2215262 - 06/07/19 06:10 PM Re: Whole house security system? Skittles
'Lil Freak! Offline
10K Club
'Lil Freak!
The psych ward

Here are the 10 best home security systems of 2019
Self-monitor or professional monitoring? We went with monitoring and got the smoke alarm since we have pets and I don't want anything to happen to them. We are very happy with Frontpoint (very responsive!) The downside is the contract and monthly monitoring close to $50. But that's cheap for my peace of mind. The app is really easy to use in arming/disarming the system.

•Frontpoint - Best Overall Value.
•Vivint - Best Home Automation.
•ADT - Most Chosen.
•SimpliSafe - Most Affordable.
•Protect America - Most Reliable.
•Brinks - Best Nest Integration.
•Link Interactive - Best Value.
•Armorax - Most Flexibility.

Return to Top
#2215268 - 06/07/19 07:03 PM Re: Whole house security system? HRH Okie Banker
HRH Okie Banker Offline
Power Poster
Oklahoma
Lots of good information everyone. Thanks for the help. I'll have to do some more research over the weekend.

Return to Top
#2215313 - 06/10/19 05:17 PM Re: Whole house security system? HRH Okie Banker
Rocky P Offline
Power Poster
Florida
We had a $39.99 a month company. After the contract expired, we put in a SimpliSafe. You can get as much or as little protection as you want. It's cellular. They have 2 monitoring plans I believe - $15 and $25/month. We looked and gave some information and left the site. Next day "Dave" from SimpliSafe sent us an e-mail, throwing in a camera for free.

Installation was very (repeat VERY} simple. It also works very well - I accidentally placed a box on top of a panic button my daughter left on the counter. Within seconds, both of our cell phones were going off. The operator had one hand on "notify police button" until we gave her the passcode and explained what happened. (we told her it was a test.)

Return to Top
#2215776 - 06/14/19 04:57 PM Re: Whole house security system? HRH Okie Banker
RVFlyboy Offline
Power Poster
RVFlyboy
Soaring over Georgia
We have had SimpliSafe for 5 years and have had no issues. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it. Extremely easy to install yourself, no contract, no hassles. And their tech support, when needed, has been great.

Return to Top
#2215783 - 06/14/19 05:53 PM Re: Whole house security system? HRH Okie Banker
Diamond Poster
The Country
So I just found a product last night called Insteon. I am still researching it but it looks awesome as it will not only do alarm, camera, sensors but can turn on and off lights, adjust thermostat, has moisture sensors. Has anyone had any experience with this product? I'm in the middle of building my home and if I can integrate a system while I am still running the electrical work I would prefer it.

Return to Top
#2216260 - 06/21/19 06:17 PM Re: Whole house security system? HRH Okie Banker
HRH Okie Banker Offline
Power Poster
Oklahoma
Any update on Insteon RockChucker?

Return to Top
#2216293 - 06/21/19 09:21 PM Re: Whole house security system? HRH Okie Banker
Diamond Poster
The Country
I haven't pulled the trigger yet but am leaning very heavily toward it. It seems like it is the best for my situation plus I don't have to pay any monthly fees for monitoring or subscription. My wife told me to hold off buying it until the house is further along so I saved all the things in my Amazon shopping cart wink

Return to Top
#2216333 - 06/24/19 04:47 PM Re: Whole house security system? HRH Okie Banker
Weeble Woman Offline
Washington State
We are in the process of upgrading from ADT to Vivint. The system has alarm, 3 cameras with sirens you can activate manually if needed, sensors, doorbell cameras and speakers, can turn on and off lights, adjust thermostat, and can unlock doors remotely. The system does not require a land line and can be accessed from any smart device. Best of all, there is no contract and the equipment can be financed at zero % if you don't want to pay up front and it is less expensive than standard alarm monitoring from ADT and I don't need a land line anymore. I'm pretty excited.

Return to Top
#2220626 - 08/28/19 08:22 PM Re: Whole house security system? Weeble Woman
Weeble Woman Offline
Washington State
We finally got our VivInt system installed and it is just short of amazing. If anyone is interested in a whole home security system with all the bells and whistles at a monthly cost that is less than basic ADT (no land line required) I am happy to provide more details!

Return to Top
#2223530 - 10/10/19 04:56 PM Re: Whole house security system? HRH Okie Banker
HRH Okie Banker Offline
Power Poster
Oklahoma
Do any of you protect a house and outbuilding (like a shop or barn). I'm trying to figure out what will also protect our shop/barn.

Return to Top
#2223590 - 10/11/19 01:35 PM Re: Whole house security system? HRH Okie Banker
RR Joker Offline
10K Club
RR Joker
The Swamp
Smith and Wesson, Glock, Winchester, Sig Sauer, a Donkey smile

Say you'll haunt me - Stone Sour

Return to Top
#2223593 - 10/11/19 01:49 PM Re: Whole house security system? HRH Okie Banker
RR Becca Offline
Power Poster
RR Becca
out of the frying pan...
Originally Posted by HRH Okie Banker
Do any of you protect a house and outbuilding (like a shop or barn). I'm trying to figure out what will also protect our shop/barn.

We have wireless webcams pointed at both doors of the house, the barn, and the shop/back gate. They aren't tied to an alarm system, but send alerts & pics to my husband's phone when something trips them. He also just got a game camera that has it's own modem and sends pics directly to his phone. That little toy could easily do double duty as a security camera.

Return to Top
#2223672 - 10/13/19 01:50 PM Re: Whole house security system? HRH Okie Banker
Rocky P Offline
Power Poster
Florida
Check on the range and sensitivity of the equipment. Our barn was within 75 yards of the receiver, and there was no issue. (Of course, we had to move the receiver to the closest part of the house to the barn - less interior walls and obstructions between point A and point B.)

Return to Top
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderator:  Andy_Z, John Burnett