Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#544301 - 05/05/06 08:31 PM Overdraft Protection Reg. DD/ Reg. O???
J2C Offline
Diamond Poster
Big Brother knows and that's a...
Hi all. We are going to be rolling out our ODP program in the next few months. Being that this program does not fall under reg. Z, does anyone know of any implications this may have for reg. O?

For those of you that currently have this type of program in place, do you offer it to employees, officers, directors? If not, why?

Thanks so much and have a great weekend!

Return to Top
Deposits and Payments
#544302 - 05/05/06 08:52 PM Re: Overdraft Protection Reg. DD/ Reg. O???
John Burnett Offline
10K Club
John Burnett
Cape Cod
Regardless of whether an overdraft is subject to Regulation Z, it is still an overdraft. Regulation O doesn't care what you call it.

Several banks have decided not to allow courtesy overdraft services for directors or officers who are subject to Reg. O, for this very reason.
Bankers' Threads User #8

Return to Top
#544303 - 05/07/06 01:45 PM Re: Overdraft Protection Reg. DD/ Reg. O???
Elwood P. Dowd Offline
10K Club
Elwood P. Dowd
Next to Harvey
...and some banks ease their administration of overdraft services a little further by not considering directors or any employees as eligible to participate. Yes, it's a double standard, but the ability to rationalize frequent overdrafts as responsible financial behavior has its limits.

Return to Top
#544304 - 05/08/06 01:02 PM Re: Overdraft Protection Reg. DD/ Reg. O???
J2C Offline
Diamond Poster
Big Brother knows and that's a...

Quote:

Regardless of whether an overdraft is subject to Regulation Z, it is still an overdraft. Regulation O doesn't care what you call it.

Several banks have decided not to allow courtesy overdraft services for directors or officers who are subject to Reg. O, for this very reason.

Thanks John, this is exactly what I thought.

Quote:

...and some banks ease their administration of overdraft services a little further by not considering directors or any employees as eligible to participate. Yes, it's a double standard, but the ability to rationalize frequent overdrafts as responsible financial behavior has its limits.

This is where we are hitting a wall. Do we offer it to employees or not? Currently many of the employees have an overdraft line, but if we eliminate that product we need to decide what to do.

I do agree, allowing overdrafts for employees is kinda hypocritical.

Return to Top
#544305 - 05/08/06 07:16 PM Re: Overdraft Protection Reg. DD/ Reg. O???
golffan Offline
Am I correct, the welcome letter as she described is an "advertsiment" and would be subject to the YTD $ being disclosed on the statements??

Return to Top
#544306 - 05/08/06 07:21 PM Re: Overdraft Protection Reg. DD/ Reg. O???
John Burnett Offline
10K Club
John Burnett
Cape Cod
Yes. The "welcome letter" constitutes an advertisement under the revised definition of advertisement in Regulation DD (as of July 1, 2006).
Bankers' Threads User #8

Return to Top

Moderator:  John Burnett