Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#924741 - 03/18/08 02:04 PM Checking Accounts at Credit Unions
Nascar Offline
Platinum Poster
Nascar
My own Island
I need help. Can anyone tell me what the credit union policy is for removing a spouse off a checking acct?

Return to Top
Deposits and Payments
#924763 - 03/18/08 02:24 PM Re: Checking Accounts at Credit Unions Nascar
#Just Jay Offline
10K Club
#Just Jay
Cheeseheadland
You would have to ask your credit union... just like banks, they each have their own crazy way of doing things.

Return to Top
#925707 - 03/19/08 01:48 PM Re: Checking Accounts at Credit Unions #Just Jay
MadisonCali Offline
Power Poster
A lot of banks, and credit unions, won't delete/remove a signer from a consumer checking account anymore. They require closure of the account by either party and then reopening of an individual one. That way there's no chance that the removed party will still write checks or use the account in some manner that would have to be investigated later. It's not like banks actually look at the signature line of the checks going through the accounts anymore.

I do know of a bank around me that still will remove a signer on a consumer account, but it requires both (or all) parties to come in person and sign a very clearly worded document about the future use of the account (among other things).

Return to Top
#928475 - 03/22/08 05:12 PM Re: Checking Accounts at Credit Unions MadisonCali
nbk2yj2 Offline
Platinum Poster
Paradise!

"I do know of a bank around me that still will remove a signer on a consumer account, but it requires both (or all) parties to come in person and sign a very clearly worded document about the future use of the account (among other things)."

Same here, also some banks and credit unions will not remove a signer unless 1. They are deceased and 2. They are secondary

Return to Top
#928612 - 03/24/08 02:42 PM Re: Checking Accounts at Credit Unions nbk2yj2
BrendaC Offline
Power Poster
BrendaC
Sweet Home AL
You need to look carefully at the rights given to an account owner under your state statutes and specific customer agreement. I have never seen a statute or an agreement that gives one account owner the right to remove another account owner. We should design our policies and procedures accordingly.

Return to Top

Moderator:  John Burnett