Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#1106948 - 01/07/09 07:02 PM unclaimed property- official checks
fla banker Offline
New Poster
We are doing our due dilegence for unclaimed property as will be first year we have things to report. While reporting is different by state, it gets you thinking about current issued not paid checks and how these are resolved prior to making it to lists to retain then report after the time period has passed.

What do you do as a best practice to resolve these checks besides have your branch staff contact the client whom purchased the check?

Return to Top
Deposits and Payments
#1108185 - 01/09/09 01:43 PM Re: unclaimed property- official checks fla banker
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
"What do you do as a best practice to resolve these checks besides have your branch staff contact the client whom purchased the check?"

Your required actions may also be defined within your State law or an administrative procedure or regulation. I would check there first.

Return to Top
#1108337 - 01/09/09 04:13 PM Re: unclaimed property- official checks rlcarey
critter586 Offline
New Poster
Minnesota
As a practice: on checks that remain outstanding after one year, we send a letter to the purchaser letting them know that it is still outstanding; and offering to help them with a claim if they have lost it. We do this at the same time we are working on unclaimed property, so it's not much more of an effort.

Return to Top
#1109125 - 01/12/09 04:18 PM Re: unclaimed property- official checks critter586
fla banker Offline
New Poster
we're very hands on with our client service, so our branch staff contact our client to resolve when it hits our expired checks for issued not paid.
It has resolved most of the checks, however I want to formalize with the letter with hold harmless to satisfy the due diligence with state.
was looking for policy examples vs recreating the wheel really. thanks for your replies

Return to Top

Moderator:  John Burnett