Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#1138683 - 03/03/09 05:46 AM unauthorized debit card transactions
cjdod Offline
100 Club
hello,

February was a rather busy month for unauthorized debit card transactions for us, unrelated to the recent payment company breach we were all informed about. Anyway 4 out of the 5 claims had unauthorized transactions from Mcafee.com, the anti-virus software folks which I found strange. Anyone else notice this similar pattern. Also two of the 4 had charges from, I am not kidding, Muchohotel in Barcelona Spain, also kind of weird.

Is Mcafee a favorite product among debit card thieves or is Mcafee the source of the breach? I was just wondering if anyone else noticed a similar pattern or if this is just a coincidence. I called Mcafee and the person I spoke to said he deals with these claims all day long and didn't seem concerned in the least. He told me the cardholder should contact them. Of course the contact number is not even the number you see on the POS description of the transaction that posts to the customer's account so it isn't as if Mcafee makes it easy for you to call them. You would think a company that deals in the security of the internet and its users would be a little more concerned about unauthorized transactions but I guess since Reg E places most of the liability squarely on the banks, why should Mcafee care.

any feed back is appreciated.
cj

Return to Top
Deposits and Payments
#1138982 - 03/03/09 05:09 PM Re: unauthorized debit card transactions cjdod
Plain Old Tom Offline
100 Club
Mcafee signs people up for an annual subscription then either makes it unclear how to cancel, or ignores requests to cancel. They then ignore customers follow up attempts to contact them. That is probably what all these transactions are about. We actually had an employee who fought Mcafee for about a month before going the reg e route.

Also, Muchohotel is the best name for a hotel. Ever.

Return to Top
#1141503 - 03/06/09 05:08 PM Re: unauthorized debit card transactions Plain Old Tom
cjdod Offline
100 Club
yeah, that hotel name is one of the greats. Apparently a favorite of a specific group of clientel.<g> We have found that the two online companies presenting the most problems is Mcafee and Paypal but at least paypal actually does, in some instances refund the funds.

What really angers us is when customers do call the charging vendors and the vendor's answer is that the customer must contact their bank, they are responsible for the refund, not the vendor. Until Reg E is finally updated and brought out of the stone ages so that more responsibility is given to the vendors, I don't think anything will improve. As long as practically 1005 of the liability is assigned to the banks, the vendors will continue to be irresponsible. Since Fed regulators have their hands full, I dont' think we will see any reform with Reg E, or D or CC....for a long long time.<g>

toodles
cj

Return to Top

Moderator:  John Burnett