Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#2009927 - 04/23/15 08:36 PM Can an IRA be in a DBA using SSN?
BBoyd Offline
Diamond Poster
BBoyd
MI
I'm thinking no, but need to substantiate it. I realize the "I" stands for "Individual" but we have a branch asking. Thanks!

Return to Top
Deposits and Payments
#2009940 - 04/23/15 08:48 PM Re: Can an IRA be in a DBA using SSN? BBoyd
el guapo Offline
Gold Star
el guapo
https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/26/408

Quote:
(a) Individual retirement account
For purposes of this section, the term “individual retirement account” means a trust created or organized in the United States for the exclusive benefit of an individual or his beneficiaries, but only if the written governing instrument creating the trust meets the following requirements...

However, it has been my experience that if the "I stands for Individual" explanation does not register then nothing you say will change the mind of the person "asking" to do this. I suspect they are trying to set up a "self directed IRA" without coming out and saying it, which is a whole other can of worms you want nothing to do with.

Return to Top
#2010017 - 04/24/15 01:03 PM Re: Can an IRA be in a DBA using SSN? BBoyd
Elwood P. Dowd Offline
10K Club
Elwood P. Dowd
Next to Harvey
"In a DBA?"

As noted, an IRA is an account owned by an individual. The concept of "doing business as" simply has no application here. I have no idea what your customer is trying to accomplish and seriously doubt that he does either.

The account should be titled in the name of the individual with no other verbiage other than that indicating it is an IRA, and, perhaps, that your bank holds it as a fiduciary.

Return to Top
#2010342 - 04/24/15 09:06 PM Re: Can an IRA be in a DBA using SSN? BBoyd
BBoyd Offline
Diamond Poster
BBoyd
MI
Thank you - that's what I had thought but it helps to have the expert gurus weigh in!

Return to Top
#2010355 - 04/24/15 09:26 PM Re: Can an IRA be in a DBA using SSN? BBoyd
el guapo Offline
Gold Star
el guapo
Originally Posted By BBoyd
Thank you - that's what I had thought but it helps to have the expert gurus weigh in!

If they press the issue and need a more detailed explanation as to why an IRA cannot "be in a DBA" feel free to ask here and I'll provide that information.

Return to Top

Moderator:  John Burnett