Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#2140826 - 08/04/17 04:00 PM TISA Disclosure on Checking Accounts
Bec Offline
Diamond Poster
Bec
The Great White North
I understand that a TISA disclosure is necessary for a checking account and that "as appropriate" applies as to what is disclosed...my question is, what is appropriate. Should one have a statement that the account does not earn interest? Is it basically just a disclosure as to what the fees associated with the account are? If anyone would like to share what they have used as a TISA disclosure for a checking account, that would be helpful too.
Thanks!

Return to Top
Deposits and Payments
#2140987 - 08/07/17 02:22 PM Re: TISA Disclosure on Checking Accounts Bec
John Burnett Offline
10K Club
John Burnett
Cape Cod
There's no requirement that you disclose the fact that the account does not earn interest. For the same reason, you need not disclosure an APY for the account. You are correct in your statement that most of the disclosure for such an account is a list of account-related fees and the conditions under which they may be imposed (or under which conditions they won't be imposed, as in the case of a minimum balance to avoid a monthly service charge).
Bankers' Threads User #8

Return to Top
#2141017 - 08/07/17 03:53 PM Re: TISA Disclosure on Checking Accounts Bec
Elwood P. Dowd Offline
10K Club
Elwood P. Dowd
Next to Harvey
In support of that, there is a statement that Regulation DD does not require banks to make "irrelevant" disclosures; e.g. "The APY on this account is 0." I cannot remember whether it's in the commentary or the supplementary information that accompanied the regulation when it was published.

Return to Top
#2141672 - 08/11/17 01:57 PM Re: TISA Disclosure on Checking Accounts Bec
Bec Offline
Diamond Poster
Bec
The Great White North
Thank you both, I appreciate it.

Return to Top

Moderator:  John Burnett