Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#2213434 - 05/13/19 03:52 PM MMDA/Savings Limits Exceeded - Wants new Savings
OnTheEdge Offline
Diamond Poster
SmallTown, USA
We have a customer that has exceeded limits 3 times within twelve month period. We are closing the savings account and moving to another account. They are wanting to know how long before they can open a savings account again. I said 1 year. Does that sound reasonable? What does your bank do?

Return to Top
Deposits and Payments
#2213471 - 05/13/19 08:25 PM Re: MMDA/Savings Limits Exceeded - Wants new Savings OnTheEdge
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
There is no guidance. You really want to start monitoring this customer again?? Maybe if they are a large balance customer.

Return to Top
#2213729 - 05/15/19 08:57 PM Re: MMDA/Savings Limits Exceeded - Wants new Savings OnTheEdge
John Burnett Offline
10K Club
John Burnett
Cape Cod
Our policy was to agree to start again, but only once, under the theory that actually closing the account showed the customer we weren't slinging BS. But the first time that customer strayed over the line (not the third, the first) on the new account, we gave him the boot and blacklisted him for any more savings/MM accounts.
Bankers' Threads User #8

Return to Top
#2213951 - 05/17/19 07:45 PM Re: MMDA/Savings Limits Exceeded - Wants new Savings John Burnett
OnTheEdge Offline
Diamond Poster
SmallTown, USA
John, are you saying you would immediately let the customer open a new savings account?

Return to Top
#2214118 - 05/21/19 08:02 PM Re: MMDA/Savings Limits Exceeded - Wants new Savings OnTheEdge
John Burnett Offline
10K Club
John Burnett
Cape Cod
I don't think we had a "cooling off" period in our "program." It was over 15 years ago that I last had to care about it. I don't think it's a really big detail, frankly, since when your regulator looks at this rule the major focus should be on your overall results -- is an infraction an infrequent thing?
Bankers' Threads User #8

Return to Top

Moderator:  John Burnett