Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#2281517 - 02/24/23 03:20 PM Interest accruals after a Bank fails
YHWB Offline
Platinum Poster
Out there
When a bank fails, interest accruals stop. From a compliance perspective/FDIC perspective, is there a need to know how much interest is accruing on the account in the interim period between FDIC takeover and the final resolution of the accounts in the event that the FDIC finds a buyer of the deposits several days later. My understanding is the interest just stops at time of failure and no interest is accruing any point after unless the bank that purchases the accounts chooses to apply interest. Is that correct?

Return to Top
Deposits and Payments
#2281575 - 02/24/23 11:01 PM Re: Interest accruals after a Bank fails YHWB
Andy_Z Offline
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
Sometimes a failing bank needs deposits and to attract those, it pays greater than market rates. When the FDIC close a bank, you are correct that the interest stops. An acquiring bank can choose to pay depositors the contracted rate or change that altogether. I do not believe the acquiring bank is obligated to go back to the date of failure. I was only involved in one bank that was failing and we went in to evaluate it. This was my understanding back then, but I can't imagine the rule changed.
Rules and Regs minus Relationships equals Resentment and Rebellion. John Maxwell

Return to Top

Moderator:  John Burnett