Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#917807 - 03/07/08 09:20 PM Daily balance vs Avg Daily balance
ComplianceisOK Offline
100 Club
ComplianceisOK
Dickinson, ND
I believe the difference in these two methods is small but is one method going to always give you more in finance charges? Does it matter as to when and how often advances are made?

Return to Top
Deposits and Payments
#918062 - 03/08/08 12:20 AM Re: Daily balance vs Avg Daily balance ComplianceisOK
cbinder63 Offline

Platinum Poster
cbinder63
Colorado
These both refer to the balance in the account. It should not impact the APR from a loan, and the APY if tiering or minimum balances are used.

Regulation DD
Sec. 230.2 Definitions.
For purposes of this part, the following definitions apply:
Average daily balance method means the application of a periodic rate to the average daily balance in the account for the period. The average daily balance is determined by adding the full amount of principal in the account for each day of the period and dividing that figure by the number of days in the period.

Daily balance method means the application of a daily periodic rate to the full amount of principal in the account each day.

Return to Top
#918345 - 03/10/08 03:00 PM Re: Daily balance vs Avg Daily balance cbinder63
ComplianceisOK Offline
100 Club
ComplianceisOK
Dickinson, ND
What method will give you more in finance charges?

Return to Top
#918399 - 03/10/08 03:37 PM Re: Daily balance vs Avg Daily balance ComplianceisOK
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
It would depend on how the account is structures, when the interest rate changes, what the daily balances are in the account on any given day, and whether your system can even handle an "average daily" balance on a loan account, and whether it is legal under State law.

Return to Top
#918435 - 03/10/08 03:57 PM Re: Daily balance vs Avg Daily balance rlcarey
ComplianceisOK Offline
100 Club
ComplianceisOK
Dickinson, ND
Our system does handle both. We are looking at merging two banks - one uses avg daily and the other daily bal. Management is looking at the method that will produce the most revenue. When I run a few scenarios I do not get much of a difference - only pennies. Most of the time daily bal is a few pennies more but not always. In the examples the interest rate remained constant. Does one method usually produce more in finance charges?

Return to Top
#918441 - 03/10/08 04:00 PM Re: Daily balance vs Avg Daily balance ComplianceisOK
MN Banker Offline
Platinum Poster
Originally Posted By: CompCoordinator
Management is looking at the method that will produce the most revenue.

I'm confused - are you referring to loans or deposits? I'm assuming loans since deposits don't produce revenue?

Return to Top
#918466 - 03/10/08 04:15 PM Re: Daily balance vs Avg Daily balance MN Banker
ComplianceisOK Offline
100 Club
ComplianceisOK
Dickinson, ND
Yes - the loan side - for ready reserve and Personal Lines of Credit - open end credit.

Return to Top
#918512 - 03/10/08 04:42 PM Re: Daily balance vs Avg Daily balance ComplianceisOK
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
If your interest rates are static and you don't have tier rates based on balances, there is basically no difference between the two calculation methods

Return to Top

Moderator:  John Burnett