Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#1318642 - 01/06/10 03:41 PM Missing Persons Accounts
Ready to Retire Offline
Diamond Poster
Living in the land of Oz
We have a customer whose son disappeared shortly before Christmas and has not been found. They feel he is deceased because of some severe health conditions. The problem is that he was a college student and his tuition money is sitting in an account only in his name. His mother would like to access the account and pay back the loan since he obviously isn't going to use it. There are other accounts also. Does anyone know how you would proceed with this? We am guessing some sort of court order but I don't really know. And how long do you think they are going to have to wait?

Return to Top
Deposits and Payments
#1318650 - 01/06/10 03:45 PM Re: Missing Persons Accounts Ready to Retire
Skittles Online
10K Club
Skittles
TN
I also think it must be a court order - or something like that. Right now, there is nothing you can do since no one else is on the account.

Return to Top
#1318698 - 01/06/10 04:08 PM Re: Missing Persons Accounts Skittles
Ready to Retire Offline
Diamond Poster
Living in the land of Oz
Unfortunately for the family you are right. He was an adult and there was no need to have a second person with access to that account. They are just hanging out there in limbo because nothing can be resolved. What a tragedy.

Return to Top
#1318739 - 01/06/10 04:25 PM Re: Missing Persons Accounts Ready to Retire
Aggs Offline
Diamond Poster
Aggs
Hoosier Country
Ugh, how sad... frown

Opinions expressed in these threads are my own and not my employer's.

Return to Top
#1319706 - 01/07/10 04:02 PM Re: Missing Persons Accounts Ready to Retire
Elwood P. Dowd Offline
10K Club
Elwood P. Dowd
Next to Harvey
When a person is missing and has financial affairs that need to be settled a court can a appoint a fiduciary to act on his or her behalf. Generally, this person is referred to as a "conservator" or "guardian."

Point the family in the right direction and leave it at that.

Return to Top
#1320565 - 01/08/10 12:48 AM Re: Missing Persons Accounts Elwood P. Dowd
Andy_Z Offline
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
Personally, I'd hope if my family didn't have my cold body, they would still have hope that I was going to spend that money.
Rules and Regs minus Relationships equals Resentment and Rebellion. John Maxwell

Return to Top
#1320824 - 01/08/10 03:28 PM Re: Missing Persons Accounts Andy_Z
Ready to Retire Offline
Diamond Poster
Living in the land of Oz
This boy is a severe diabetic and had been having problems with regulating his blood sugar level. He was staying at his father's who lives 50 feet from a lake. They are pretty certain that he became disoriented and drowned but the lake is now frozen so they will have to wait until spring. Its a really sad situation. All of his belongings including his wallet, coat, and cell phone were found in the house as well as his car.

Return to Top
#1321235 - 01/08/10 07:37 PM Re: Missing Persons Accounts Ready to Retire
BrendaC Offline
Power Poster
BrendaC
Sweet Home AL
How tragic. Could you imagine looking at that lake everyday and wondering whether your son will rise to the top in the Spring. I don't think I could even stay there.

Return to Top

Moderator:  John Burnett