Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#1717881 - 07/06/12 07:50 PM Account Title Changes-in the event of Death
august Offline
New Poster
We have a procedure written many years ago that states: In the case of death, a title change on the account is not allowed if there are multiple POD's. An account titling change can occur if there is only one POD. We are wondering if anyone has an opinion on why this would be the case?

Return to Top
Deposits and Payments
#1717931 - 07/06/12 08:39 PM Re: Account Title Changes-in the event of Death august
Doug Hendrickson Offline
Power Poster
Doug Hendrickson
Without knowing the background, I'm presuming that whoever wrote the procedure felt that if the sole POD wanted to keep the funds in the account, they could just re-title it in the PODs name. If there were multiple PODs, re-titling would require all of them to agree to a joint account with the others.

Our philosophy has always been, pay the beneficiaries and close the account. If any of them chooose to keep the money with us, we'll open a new account under their name(s). This avoids a host of problems.

Return to Top
#1717940 - 07/06/12 08:55 PM Re: Account Title Changes-in the event of Death august
BurntSienna Offline
Diamond Poster
Midwest
We do the same as Doug indicates. Keeps the headaches to a minimum.

Return to Top
#1718012 - 07/09/12 11:35 AM Re: Account Title Changes-in the event of Death august
Elwood P. Dowd Offline
10K Club
Elwood P. Dowd
Next to Harvey
My store of anecdotes about the problems banks caused themselves by doing things the easy way; e.g. using file maintenance a a method to change account ownership, grows every year. As indicated:

Quote:
pay the beneficiaries and close the account

The person who wrote your original procedure limiting the practice of editing account titles to a single POD beneficiary was smart, just not as smart as he might have been.

Return to Top
#1718314 - 07/09/12 08:24 PM Re: Account Title Changes-in the event of Death august
august Offline
New Poster
Thank you all for your feedback, this was my line of thinking.

Return to Top

Moderator:  John Burnett