Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#1910932 - 04/02/14 06:13 PM Account Number with the Endorsement
fhernan Offline
New Poster
Some of our members have been advised by their banks NOT to write their account number on the check items being deposited to their account. The reason being that the maker of the check can easily obtain that private information since they can always access to a copy of the item. We instruct members to always write their account number on the front or back of the checks being deposited in case the item is returned so we can easily track back to the member’s account.

Has anyone else come across any rules or best practice recommendations regarding what should or shouldn't be on the back of a check being deposited?
Last edited by fhernan; 04/02/14 06:14 PM.
Return to Top
Deposits and Payments
#1910942 - 04/02/14 06:28 PM Re: Account Number with the Endorsement fhernan
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
This has been going on for a hundred years. Well at least 40, when I first had a bank account. What is the increased danger suddenly??

Return to Top
#1911047 - 04/02/14 08:33 PM Re: Account Number with the Endorsement fhernan
RSC Offline
Criminals not having to call the bank to get account information.

Return to Top
#1911059 - 04/02/14 08:55 PM Re: Account Number with the Endorsement fhernan
John Burnett Offline
10K Club
John Burnett
Cape Cod
There's no legal or regulatory requirement that it be included or excluded. It's historically been used to make identification of the depository account easier in the event of a returned deposited check (and perhaps other reasons). That may not be as big a deal these days when images of deposited checks are often tied electronically to the depository account during image capture.
Bankers' Threads User #8

Return to Top
#1911254 - 04/03/14 04:13 PM Re: Account Number with the Endorsement fhernan
edAudit Offline
Power Poster
edAudit
You are here
Why would you customer accept a check from someone when they feel the person giving it to them is not trustworthy enough for them to write an account number on the back of their check?

CAMS

Return to Top
#1911274 - 04/03/14 04:33 PM Re: Account Number with the Endorsement fhernan
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
Ed, not always a trustworthy issue...i may trust the person who wrote me a check, but a copy of that check can be stolen from a mailbox if they get statements, if their PC is hacked from there, or if it is from a corporation, multiple people may have access to the cleared checks...

Return to Top

Moderator:  John Burnett