Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#2116471 - 02/01/17 04:34 PM Trusts - Help Please
Marisa Offline
New Poster
I have a customer requesting to add her POA to her account which is set up in a trust. She is trustee however the language in her trust reads "All of my reserved powers under this Declaration, including but not limited to the powers of amendment and revocation, are personal to me and shall not accrue to any other person, or to any guardian or conservator, nor shall they extend to my estate or my legal representative or to any other beneficiary". I read this as she is not able to add the POA without amending the trust. Am I not reading this correctly because she is telling me 18 other banks all did this for her? The trust does list a successor trustee who is not the POA.

Return to Top
Deposits and Payments
#2116478 - 02/01/17 04:53 PM Re: Trusts - Help Please Marisa
John Burnett Offline
10K Club
John Burnett
Cape Cod
Trustees cannot add an attorney-in-fact (AIF) or other agent as an authorized signer on the trust's deposit account unless the trust instrument permits it. The language you have cited suggests she is the settlor/grantor of the trust and the trust, if revocable, can be amended. If she wants to have an AIF or agent authorized to act on her behalf, she should arrange with her attorney to amend the trust to permit it. Otherwise, her current AIF can only act on her behalf outside the trust.
Bankers' Threads User #8

Return to Top
#2116485 - 02/01/17 05:00 PM Re: Trusts - Help Please Marisa
Marisa Offline
New Poster
Thank you John for verifying this. I have already explained this to her, but felt the need to double check when she said 18 other banks made this change for her.

Return to Top
#2116534 - 02/01/17 06:38 PM Re: Trusts - Help Please Marisa
Skittles Offline
10K Club
Skittles
TN
It's kind of scary to think that she has actually banked at 18 other banks.

Return to Top
#2116537 - 02/01/17 06:43 PM Re: Trusts - Help Please Marisa
John Burnett Offline
10K Club
John Burnett
Cape Cod
I'd be more concerned if 18 other banks actually made the change for her. I can easily imagine that she may have cowed one or two to make the change, but 18 is probably a bit of "puffery" on her part.
Bankers' Threads User #8

Return to Top
#2116639 - 02/01/17 11:38 PM Re: Trusts - Help Please John Burnett
Elwood P. Dowd Offline
10K Club
Elwood P. Dowd
Next to Harvey
Only an echo: if an attorney-in-fact has access to a trust, the trust agreement talks about the POA and the POA talks about the trust.

Return to Top
#2116937 - 02/03/17 05:18 PM Re: Trusts - Help Please Marisa
LSmith Offline
Platinum Poster
LSmith
The trust must specifically state a POA can be used. Or she can set up another person either as a co-trustee or Successor Trustee. She can't have her cake and eat it too.

Return to Top

Moderator:  John Burnett