Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#2195140 - 10/10/18 07:33 PM Jumbo CD Minimum Amount
BankLady011 Offline
I've not been the Compliance Officer long and an executive has asked that I look into this, and I don't know where to start so I am searching for a little guidance.

Currently our Jumbo CD's require a minimum deposit of $100k. The question is, can we raise the minimum opening amount to $250k? Is there guidance on this or is this set at the banks discretion?

Thanks!

Return to Top
Deposits and Payments
#2195145 - 10/10/18 07:50 PM Re: Jumbo CD Minimum Amount BankLady011
BrianC Online
Power Poster
BrianC
Illinois
Bank's can set whatever minimum opening deposit they wish for a product provided that it is accurately reflected in advertising and Truth-in-Savings disclosures.

Such a move should be discussed with your ALCO committee since deposits in excess of $100,000 are not considered core deposits so moving non-core deposits into a regular CD product depending on the rate differential could impact their liquidity planning.

Return to Top
#2195200 - 10/11/18 02:58 PM Re: Jumbo CD Minimum Amount BankLady011
Elwood P. Dowd Offline
10K Club
Elwood P. Dowd
Next to Harvey
From a fading memory: The term "jumbo" was drawn from regulations limiting the amount of interest banks could pay on time deposits in the previous century; i.e. a "jumbo" was a time deposit of $100,000 or more on which the bank could set its own rate structure. The term no longer has a legal meaning; if your bank wants to say a "jumbo" time deposit is any exceeding $250,000 no one is going to correct you citing law or regulation.

Note Brian's cautionary language beyond the use of an adjective.

Return to Top
#2195213 - 10/11/18 03:34 PM Re: Jumbo CD Minimum Amount BankLady011
John Burnett Offline
10K Club
John Burnett
Cape Cod
Coming from an only slightly older perspective than Elwood, I can confirm his memory of the jumbo CD as one that wasn't subject to Reg Q rate limits. Those limits started phasing out in 1980 and haven't been relevant for a couple of decades or more.
Bankers' Threads User #8

Return to Top

Moderator:  John Burnett