Is anyone out there knowledgeable on the account type codes required to be used for Metro 2 when reporting to the credit bureaus?

I'll preface this by saying that this is not my area of the bank, so I have limited knowledge here. I do have the resource guide published by CDIA in front of me.

My question is where can I find a good description of what account type codes we are to use and when? I ask because we assign a loan purpose code to each loan that relates directly to these account type codes for Metro 2, and I am questioning some of them. For example, if a consumer obtains an unsecured loan to assist with medical expenses, they'll assign the purpose code for "medical debt" and that is the account type code then that they use for Metro 2 reporting. I am questioning if that is accurate, but nothing in the guide really says either way. I am suspecting that that particular code is meant to be used when the creditor is, for example, a doctor or hospital and they are reporting medical payment information. I don't think this code (as well as some of the others - such as attorneys fees) are driven by the consumer's purpose. I haven't really been able to find anything, though, that details this either way.

As a side note, I am particular concerned about the medical debt code due to the potential FCRA/FACTA implications.

Thanks for your help!
Last edited by FlamingoGal; 08/08/07 04:04 PM.
Always
Say
A
Prayer
<><