Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#619744 - 09/29/06 12:16 AM Multiple SSNs
new2banking Offline
Northern California
You've pulled a CBR and find two SSNs listed under the subject's name. The second SSN is something entirely different than the first (and the first is what the customer has put on her application form and appears on her tax returns). What steps should be taken with respect to the second SSN?

Return to Top
#619745 - 09/29/06 03:25 PM Re: Multiple SSNs
ACBbank Online
Power Poster
ACBbank
New York City
I would call the customer directly and inquire which is the accurate number. I would even request they bring in their SS card in order to verify the correct number. Either way, document whatever course of action you choose to take.

Return to Top
#619746 - 09/29/06 03:50 PM Re: Multiple SSNs
new2banking Offline
Northern California
Thanks for your response, ACB.

Is my understanding correct that our obligation ends with making certain that the SSN we use is authentic to our customer, and that we have no responsibility with respect to finding out why the other SSNs appear on the CBR?

Return to Top
#619747 - 09/29/06 04:12 PM Re: Multiple SSNs
ACBbank Online
Power Poster
ACBbank
New York City
I would ask the potential Borrower as to why there were two numbers on the credit report. This could be a possible ID theft situation. I would also review the credit report very carefully. Are there any alerts on there which would indicate identity theft? I would also recommend obtain two forms of ID from this customer for your file. I would also call the credit bureau and ask them why there were two numbers on the credit report. You can then compare all this information and see if it makese sense. Once again, document every step you go through.

Return to Top
#619748 - 09/29/06 06:45 PM Re: Multiple SSNs
mck401 Offline
Diamond Poster
Texas
I recently pulled my own CB report and found a second SSN listed. It belongs to my husband. Now I have the joy of dealing with the CB to have it 'fixed'. It oculd possibly belong to someone with whom they have a joint account or co-signed for. That's what the CB told me.

Return to Top
#619749 - 10/02/06 08:51 PM Re: Multiple SSNs
Becka Marr Offline
Power Poster
Becka Marr
Quote:

It oculd possibly belong to someone with whom they have a joint account or co-signed for. That's what the CB told me.

This is often the case when someone has two very different SSNs on their credit report. Or, sometimes the second number belongs to someone with the same or similar name as your customer. Two SSNs is not usually cause for concern; three or more should be scrutinzed more closely.

Return to Top