Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#2276206 - 09/30/22 04:27 PM Verbal Credit Reporting Dispute
Wanna Know Offline
Can a verbal credit reporting dispute be accepted if all the information is provided and documented, or does regulation require it be a written dispute?

Return to Top
#2276288 - 10/04/22 11:30 AM Re: Verbal Credit Reporting Dispute Wanna Know
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
There is no mention in the FCRA that a dispute has to be made in writing by a consumer.

Return to Top
#2276861 - 10/20/22 03:25 PM Re: Verbal Credit Reporting Dispute Wanna Know
Luis Morales Offline
New Poster
There is nothing here that prevents you from accepting a verbal dispute.

https://www.consumerfinance.gov/rules-policy/regulations/1022/43/#c

(c) Direct dispute address. A furnisher is required to investigate a direct dispute only if a consumer submits a dispute notice to the furnisher at:

(1) The address of a furnisher provided by a furnisher and set forth on a consumer report relating to the consumer;

(2) An address clearly and conspicuously specified by the furnisher for submitting direct disputes that is provided to the consumer in writing or electronically (if the consumer has agreed to the electronic delivery of information from the furnisher); or

(3) Any business address of the furnisher if the furnisher has not so specified and provided an address for submitting direct disputes under paragraphs (c)(1) or (2) of this section.

Return to Top
#2277793 - 11/10/22 12:54 AM Re: Verbal Credit Reporting Dispute Wanna Know
LostinRegLand Offline
100 Club
WA
This is a very timely thread as we are relooking at our intake for direct disputes.

I am curious how many people allow for verbal direct disputes and have you had any negative feedback from an auditor or examiner for allowing it.

I have been reading various threads on Direct Disputes and have seen both the argument for and against both referencing the same section 1022.43(c).

I noted a tool that is available on here for a Direct Dispute form that has a checkbox for received by Telephone.

I also saw this answer for the same question.
https://www.bankersonline.com/qa/oral-disputes-relating-credit-reporting

Return to Top