Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Page 1 of 2 1 2
New Reply Thread Options
#1522569 - 03/16/11 05:27 PM COMPLIANCE OFFICER SALARY
Anonymous
Unregistered

I am looking for any help I can get as far as compliance officer/auditor salary. I have been in this position for almost a year, been in banking almost 4. I have been through every area of the bank except new accounts. I am the only compliance officer/auditor. I am being told my pay will reflect with my salary but I am still being held responsible for all compliance issues. I am in Texas in a small community bank. What is other compliance officers making?

Return to Top Reply Quote Quick Reply Quick Quote
#1522601 - 03/16/11 05:52 PM Re: COMPLIANCE OFFICER SALARY Anonymous
Doug Hendrickson Offline
Power Poster
Doug Hendrickson
You're probably going to find a wide variance among salaries based on education, experience, location, profit, politics, what others in the organization are making, etc. I doubt that a salary comparison is going to be as helpful as you think.

If you have an idea of how much you think you're worth, put a spiel togehter about the value you bring to the organization (improved examination rating, reduced re-work due to training, etc.) and argue your case with your supervisor. Solicit feedback as to your performance and what you can expect in terms of increases. I've heard of situations, especially at smaller banks where there might not be a robust HR organization, where managers just don't realize that you haven't had an increase in a while.

And always, always, always, keep an update resume on file that shows your current and past positions, with particular focus on what you accomplished in each (the value you brought), not just what you were reponsible for.

#1522895 - 03/17/11 12:54 PM Re: COMPLIANCE OFFICER SALARY Doug Hendrickson
Bob The Banker Offline
Platinum Poster
Bob The Banker
The major factor here is location of employment. What you make in Texas, is not the same as in New York.

You should do some research at salary websites such as: Salary.com, Payscale.com, etc. They are very helpful. You fill out a questionaire detailing your background, the company's business type/size, location, etc. And they generate an estimation of salary range with an average as well. They will also display salaries of those in comparable positions, listing the stats of their job so you can read the numbers in perspective better.

#1522922 - 03/17/11 01:26 PM Re: COMPLIANCE OFFICER SALARY Bob The Banker
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
Bob has made some valid points, but I will take it one step further. You indicated you work a small community bank in Texas. If you are the only Bank in town, you have little room to negotiate unless you are willing to relocate. It would be different if you worked in a small bank in Houston for example as the market has a big demand for anyone with any compliance experience. The local need and competition for your skills will be as a big driver.

#1523101 - 03/17/11 03:14 PM Re: COMPLIANCE OFFICER SALARY rlcarey
Anonymous
Unregistered

There are several community banks within 10-15 miles of the one I am currently working and although I won't relocate persay i would drive an extra 30-45 minutes.

#1523127 - 03/17/11 03:21 PM Re: COMPLIANCE OFFICER SALARY Anonymous
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
That is still a pretty limited market to use market based arguments for salary. I would focus on the value you add to the organization in any argument for a salary redetermination.

#1523292 - 03/17/11 05:12 PM Re: COMPLIANCE OFFICER SALARY rlcarey
Dani York, CRCM Offline
Power Poster
Dani York, CRCM
TN
Don't forget to take into consideration that just because there are other banks near you, that doesn't mean they are hiring. Trying to play that card might not work in your best interest if management knows that you can't go somewhere else.

#1523314 - 03/17/11 05:25 PM Re: COMPLIANCE OFFICER SALARY Dani York, CRCM
Truffle Royale Offline

10K Club
Last but by no means least, you're working for a 'small community bank'. By definition, they do not have the same salary capabilities as a big bank. If you're in it for the money, you're going to have to move to work at a bigger bank. Just keep in mind what you're going to give up for the money. Having worked for both big and small, I'd never go big again...just sayin'.

#1523407 - 03/17/11 06:15 PM Re: COMPLIANCE OFFICER SALARY Truffle Royale
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
Having worked for big and small and I might never go back to either smile

#1523572 - 03/17/11 09:13 PM Re: COMPLIANCE OFFICER SALARY rlcarey
HRH Okie Banker Offline
Power Poster
Oklahoma
I've worked big and medium and much prefer medium.

I worked for a big bank in a big city, managing 17 people, with a salary that I was happy with. I moved away to a very, very small town and was offered minimum wage at the bank in town to be the one person loan department. This bank was very excited at the thought of getting someone with my experience but couldn't offer near what I was making.

Instead, I chose to commute 43 miles to get a job with a salary that would more help my family, again as a supervisor, for a medium size bank that was very happy to get someone with my experience.

My experience is small banks don't have the salary budgets of the bigger institutions.

#1524157 - 03/18/11 07:56 PM Re: COMPLIANCE OFFICER SALARY HRH Okie Banker
Georgia Plum
Unregistered

No, they don't BUT having worked for a giant mega bank making mucho money in a past life, I would much rather be in community banking making less money. Less bureaucracy, easier to get things accomplished, decision making is right here! Haven't had chest pains in years!! Love it!!

#1526847 - 03/24/11 09:58 PM Re: COMPLIANCE OFFICER SALARY
Anonymous
Unregistered

Well how much do you make?

#1526850 - 03/24/11 10:00 PM Re: COMPLIANCE OFFICER SALARY Anonymous
Anonymous
Unregistered

I too am a "compliance officer" for a small credit union in the midwest. I make $16 an hour and do mostly BSA. However I do help with new account and outside business development. I am currently in my 1st year with no banking experience. I'm curious where I will be in 5-10 years.

#1526851 - 03/24/11 10:01 PM Re: COMPLIANCE OFFICER SALARY Anonymous
Anonymous
Unregistered

Obviously back in school if I don't proof read my messages before I hit send.

#1526905 - 03/25/11 02:42 AM Re: COMPLIANCE OFFICER SALARY Anonymous
Anonymous
Unregistered

I'm at a small bank, have an advanced degree, 2 years experience-- $60k. We pay our tellers $9/hour.

#1526907 - 03/25/11 03:12 AM Re: COMPLIANCE OFFICER SALARY Anonymous
Kathleen O. Blanchard Offline

10K Club
Kathleen O. Blanchard
Originally Posted By: Anonymous
Obviously back in school if I don't proof read my messages before I hit send.

laugh
You will need that sense of humor in banking.
www.kaybeescomplianceinsights.com

#1527293 - 03/25/11 07:20 PM Re: COMPLIANCE OFFICER SALARY Kathleen O. Blanchard
Anonymous
Unregistered

I am in loan review- Bachelors of science in economics and business. 5 months experience and I make 26500/yr with overtime. The bank has 3 billion in assets...:o Tellers make minimum. Most of them anyway.

#1527368 - 03/25/11 09:01 PM Re: COMPLIANCE OFFICER SALARY Anonymous
Anonymous
Unregistered

That is a low salary. I have close to 30 years in banking with 23 years in compliance and audit of which 5 years compliance only for 88K/year. Manage one employee for a bank of 3.8B.

#1527375 - 03/25/11 09:15 PM Re: COMPLIANCE OFFICER SALARY Anonymous
Anonymous
Unregistered

Yeah I know it is low, they got lucky I was a burnt out car salesman that would take about anything I could get. Plus I graduated college right as the recession started, which is what got me a job like selling cars in the first place. I can't complain too much though because I like loan review and I like the guys I work with.

#1527446 - 03/27/11 07:41 AM Re: COMPLIANCE OFFICER SALARY Anonymous
Anonymous
Unregistered

I know that Robert Half does an annual salary report on Audit and Accounting positions and I believe the IIA does one on internal auditors, would be nice to see an industry group do one on compliance positions. Agree to be meaningful it needs data on asset size, region of country, charter type etc. My supervisor has asked me if I knew a data source and except for opinions expressed on BOL and in job opening listings I haven;t found much.

#1527451 - 03/27/11 04:10 PM Re: COMPLIANCE OFFICER SALARY Anonymous
Kt, CCBCO Offline
Kt, CCBCO
State of Confusion
When I want to get depressed about my current wages. I play around with the BOL Career Connect. You can search out jobs in your area and find then find the area, state, or National average pay for that job. Not that this will help you get the money that you may deserve, but it may help if you present these numbers in a professional salary increase request.

#1527711 - 03/28/11 06:08 PM Re: COMPLIANCE OFFICER SALARY Kt, CCBCO
fun grandma Offline
fun grandma
midwest
I definitely know I'm underpaid now. Have 10 yrs banking experience, 4 years in compliance, mainly loan and deposit side. Though I am the one that deals with the examiners! I even asked for a raise and still not making $16.00 an hour. Very depressing, especially with the stress of all the new/updated regulations that I'm suppose to deal with. Our bank is making money, so I know that is not the issue either. Very depressing.

#1527723 - 03/28/11 06:23 PM Re: COMPLIANCE OFFICER SALARY fun grandma
Bob The Banker Offline
Platinum Poster
Bob The Banker
fun grandma, you must keep the location you work in mind, you may be underpaid for someone living in New York, but not in South Carolina.

#1529430 - 03/31/11 02:56 PM Re: COMPLIANCE OFFICER SALARY Bob The Banker
Anonymous
Unregistered

CO and BSA Officer, only one in department. 10+ years audit/compliance experience. $350 million in assets, albany, ny.
49K. frown

#1529747 - 03/31/11 06:12 PM Re: COMPLIANCE OFFICER SALARY Anonymous
Anonymous
Unregistered

$200 million bank in the midwest, compliance officer for loan and deposit 2.5 years, making $39k. Pay freeze for 2 years, first raise last year.

I think if you ask anyone they will say they are underpaid but we love COMPLIANCE so we keep on going. Last year I was actually offered another job not too far away for a little more money. I declined the job because I didn't feel it was a fit for me. After I declined, I infomred management of this offer and that I declined, they came back three hours later and gave me more money (I didn't even ask!) I think it all boils down if you like the organization you work for. If not, if more money arises move on. I think you also need to consider what type of benefits do you have, vacation, insurance, 401k, etc.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Quick Reply:
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled

Moderator:  MagicCity, P*Q, Truffle Royale