Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

New Reply Thread Options
#1974651 - 11/06/14 01:34 PM Merger Pending - How to find out?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Here I am, once again, posting anonymously, and that’s kind of sad that’s the route many of us posting on BOL have to take anymore. Having been through numerous bank mergers in my years of employment, and always hoping I’d never have to go through that again, it’s looking like the FI where I have worked for quite some time will be going the same route. We’re a tiny institution and non-stock, so that limits us as to whom we merge with. We are also very well capitalized and have no issues and always rate high on exams, so this would be, I’m assuming, a ‘friendly’ merger.

Is there any way to find out if the wheels have started turning to merge with another FI? It’s all very secretive here, and that’s fine, after all ‘it’s always the employees who are the last to know’, right?

I’ve looked online and can’t find anything that would indicate the process has started but the signs are all clearly there. Federal Reserve has a link that shows merger applications but I’m not sure that’s what I’m looking for. We’re under FDIC guidance.

Any hints, links, or words of wisdom?

Return to Top Reply Quote Quick Reply Quick Quote
#1974654 - 11/06/14 01:45 PM Re: Anyone have a crystal ball? Anonymous
osucpa Offline
Diamond Poster
Normally mergers and/or acquisitions have a confidentiality agreement. Which means neiter side is suppose to talk about it. One way to determine if a merger and/or acquisition might occur is if a group of unusual people are their performing due diligence. As to your direct question, can this information be obtained through open records generally not until after it happens.

#1974680 - 11/06/14 02:20 PM Re: Anyone have a crystal ball? Anonymous
Anonymous
Unregistered

A few years ago, my bank was in the process of talking with another FI about a merger. Top management didn't even know, only President and CEO. A lot of us felt like something was happening because Pres/CEO was asking for A LOT of information. Account disclosures, product terms and conditions, loan products, etc.

Luckily for us, the deal fell through so we didn't' have to go through it but the information gathering was our clue that something was going on.

#1974697 - 11/06/14 02:37 PM Re: Anyone have a crystal ball? Anonymous
osucpa Offline
Diamond Poster
I have been on both sides. Once being acquired and once acquired. Especially if you live in a small town these are never fun on either side.

#1974776 - 11/06/14 04:11 PM Re: Anyone have a crystal ball? Anonymous
Anonymous
Unregistered

Anon2 (ok, 3 this time) sez: If you're back office, you might notice...
- Lots of very serious-looking people in suits coming to visit top brass (that could mean anything, sure, but I've seen it mean that an acquiring bank is visiting and sending its attorneys)
- Requests for "due diligence" type info, where your contact is someone internally rather than a 3rd party (they don't want you to know who you're preparing it for)

But here's my favorite: Walk into the Prez or CEO's office, tell him or her in private that you're concerned about the stability of your position and you know that banks are always merging, and ask directly, Are we about to merge? Though don't be surprised if the answer is "We're always looking to merge, that's always a possibility."

#1974806 - 11/06/14 04:45 PM Re: Anyone have a crystal ball? Anonymous
Anonymous
Unregistered

To Anon #3 from OP, been there, and have asked him on many, many occasions, over the course of at least 2 years and have blatantly been told "NO, that's not happening, it'll never happen". I've done everything short of outlining all the signs but alas, the answer still remains NO.

Ahhh, never say never! It'll always come back to bite you! grin

#1974932 - 11/06/14 09:18 PM Merger Pending - How to find out? Anonymous
Anonymous
Unregistered

Anon #4 here. Not too long ago I started a new job. At the interview, I asked if the bank had any plans for big changes (acquisitions, mergers, etc). A couple of months after I started my new job, my bank announced they were being acquired.

No one will tell you if your bank is going through a merger or acquisition until they are ready to announce to the public. The best clue as others have said, is if the executives ask for due diligence type material.
Last edited by Ken_Pegasus; 11/07/14 11:25 AM.
#1975372 - 11/07/14 09:54 PM Re: Merger Pending - How to find out? Anonymous
Anonymous
Unregistered

Is your stock publicly traded? No one is going to tell you anything until they are ready to tell your shareholders. There are laws against that sort of thing.

#1975420 - 11/09/14 02:31 AM Re: Merger Pending - How to find out? Anonymous
Anonymous
Unregistered

Just a note from the OP to the very last poster prior to this... we are a non- stock FI...

#1975421 - 11/09/14 03:29 AM Re: Merger Pending - How to find out? Anonymous
Kathleen O. Blanchard Offline

10K Club
Kathleen O. Blanchard
So say you read the tea leaves and decide the bank is being sold, you get a new job. Now what if that bank is then sold? I have seen that happen to people.
www.kaybeescomplianceinsights.com

#1975424 - 11/09/14 08:21 PM Re: Merger Pending - How to find out? Anonymous
Anonymous
Unregistered

No worries here, Kathleen. Been through so many over the years. Just wondering if there's a way to find out... nada mas.

#1975425 - 11/09/14 08:35 PM Re: Merger Pending - How to find out? Anonymous
Kathleen O. Blanchard Offline

10K Club
Kathleen O. Blanchard
I have lost count of how many mergers I went through.
www.kaybeescomplianceinsights.com

Quick Reply:
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled

Moderator:  MagicCity, P*Q, Truffle Royale