Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

New Reply Thread Options
#2282246 - 03/14/23 09:29 PM Availability of cash deposits
Anonymous
Unregistered

I know the answer to this, but I am going to ask anyway:

Are there EVER any exceptions to a cash deposit not being available the same day?

This is my scenario:

Mom and daughter have joint account at ABC Bank. Mom banks at ABC Bank in Des Moines. Daughter banks at ABC Bank in Chicago.

Mom goes into branch in Des Moines and deposits cash into joint account. Daughter goes to her ABC Bank in Chicago to withdraw funds.

Let's just say this is a totally legitimate transaction.

We have just been told that daughter now cannot withdraw the funds, as they were made on the same day. Regardless that this was cash.

Isn't this a direct violation of Reg CC? Or are there exceptions when cash isn't available immediately?
Last edited by BrianC; 03/20/23 03:15 PM. Reason: Edit thread subject
Return to Top Reply Quote Quick Reply Quick Quote
#2282247 - 03/14/23 09:44 PM Re: Availability of cash deposits Anonymous
Anonymous
Unregistered

Orig anon here; sorry about the subject title.....not sure where "9" came from, LOL.

#2282250 - 03/14/23 10:42 PM Re: Availability of cash deposits Anonymous
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
Unless you disclose to them it is available immediately?

229.10(a) Cash deposits.

(1) A bank shall make funds deposited in an account by cash available for withdrawal not later than the business day after the banking day on which the cash is deposited, if the deposit is made in person to an employee of the depositary bank.

#2282513 - 03/22/23 07:52 PM Re: Availability of cash deposits Anonymous
John Burnett Offline
10K Club
John Burnett
Cape Cod
[/quote]Some banks will provide sam[quote]
e day access if the cash is deposited in person. I have even seen banks that will allow same day access if the deposit is made at an ATM, but I wonder whether those banks really know what was deposited in the ATM until the next day.

As Randy pointed out, a bank can delay access for any deposit of cash to the first business day after the banking day of deposit (by the way, that's also the case under the UCC and has been since before Reg CC saw the light of day). And if the deposit is made at a non-proprietary ATM, the card-issuing bank can delay availability until the fifth business day.
Last edited by John Burnett; 03/23/23 04:07 PM. Reason: corrected an error
Bankers' Threads User #8

Quick Reply:
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled

Moderator:  MagicCity, P*Q, Truffle Royale