Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

New Reply Thread Options
#922909 - 03/14/08 02:44 PM What's in a name?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Our customer would like to have their business name show on their paperwork from our bank rather than their legal name. Is it acceptable for us to have a separate line for the legal name that would be reported to the IRS, but would not show up on their receipts, statements, and other bank materials?

Return to Top Reply Quote Quick Reply Quick Quote
#922932 - 03/14/08 02:57 PM Re: What's in a name? Anonymous
Al Miller Offline
Diamond Poster
Al Miller
Pleasanton CA USA
Is their business name not legal?

While you must do information reporting under the name shown in IRS records, your mainframe probably has a "tax name" field or pointer. It only defaults to "name line 1" if you don't tell it to look elsewhere.

Al

#922952 - 03/14/08 03:16 PM Re: What's in a name? Al Miller
Anonymous
Unregistered

In this instance it is a sole proprietor with a couple of businesses. They would like the statements, receipts, etc to just have the business name not the "sole prop name DBA legal name."

#923039 - 03/14/08 04:15 PM Re: What's in a name? Anonymous
Milby Offline
Platinum Poster
Tejas
Like Al mentioned, you should be able to set up an "alternate name" that only reads what the customer wants it to. The CIF for the customer must have the full legal name so it is reported correctly. The tax forms at year end should show the full name, so your customer needs to be aware of that

#923316 - 03/14/08 07:01 PM Re: What's in a name? Milby
Mint Julep Offline
Diamond Poster
Mint Julep
Tennessee
Just to address a pet peeve of mine, if I may ...

It isn't their "legal" name, it is their "trade" name. Their legal name, in this situation, is the name on their birth certificate. Trade names, even registered trade names, are not legal entities. They are marketing tools.

#923740 - 03/16/08 04:10 PM Re: What's in a name? Mint Julep
John Burnett Offline
10K Club
John Burnett
Cape Cod
It's also important that the true ownership of the accounts be reflected on your records for deposit insurance purposes. "Joe's Hamburger Stand" doesn't own the account. Joseph P. Smith, the sole proprietor, is the owner.

But if you can work your system so that the business's trade name (a/k/a fictitious name, a/k/a "DBA" name) prints on statements, go for it.

Where I'd draw the line, however, would be if your depositor becomes a borrower. I'd make certain that everything about loan accounts reflects the legal name of the borrower.
Bankers' Threads User #8

Quick Reply:
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled

Moderator:  MagicCity, P*Q, Truffle Royale