Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

New Reply Thread Options
#1446995 - 09/22/10 09:36 PM Loan Setoff of customer receiving SSI benefits
Anonymous
Unregistered

We charged off a customer's car loan. He has a checking account and received SSI benefits as well as depsoits from other sources from time-to-time. Can we exercise our right to setoff on this account?

I have read about exceptions for overdrafts that are on the same account. I reviewed Courtwatch but still am unclear.

Return to Top Reply Quote Quick Reply Quick Quote
#1447058 - 09/23/10 01:25 AM Re: Loan Setoff of customer receiving SSI benefits Anonymous
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
You cannot offset SSI payments to pay a car loan.

#1447541 - 09/23/10 05:51 PM Re: Loan Setoff of customer receiving SSI benefits rlcarey
Lele Offline
Platinum Poster
Lele
In the Sun
No type of loans, right?

#1447927 - 09/24/10 02:38 PM Re: Loan Setoff of customer receiving SSI benefits Lele
Anonymous
Unregistered

We have on our signature cards a section on Setoff and it states that we may set off the funds in this account against any due and payable debt you owe us in the future...it also states the right to setoff does not apply to IRA or other tax-deferred accounts...and then a statement on hold harmless as a result of the setoff.

#1447943 - 09/24/10 02:55 PM Re: Loan Setoff of customer receiving SSI benefits Anonymous
Dan Persfull Offline
10K Club
Dan Persfull
Bloomington, IN
Quote:
then a statement on hold harmless as a result of the setoff.

Not worth the paper it's written on since the off-set against SSI is a violation of law. Several cases, especially in CA, concerning the offset of SSI all have been ruled against the banks that I have seen.

Quick Reply:
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled

Moderator:  MagicCity, P*Q, Truffle Royale