Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

New Reply Thread Options
#1467553 - 11/15/10 03:37 PM Escrow on Construction Loan with no Payments?
Anonymous
Unregistered

When we commit to do a construction loan for a 1-4 family residence we always commit to do the permanent as well. (Two separate closings). The construction loan is a single payment loan due at maturity. If the owners are currently living on the property, let's say - in a travel trailer.

Do we need to start escrow on the temporary portion of the loan? I think we need to escrow. Someone else here, says, no. It's temp financing with no payments due, and no insurance needed from the borrowers.

Return to Top Reply Quote Quick Reply Quick Quote
#1467564 - 11/15/10 03:50 PM Re: Escrow on Construction Loan with no Payments? Anonymous
3-2-Go Offline
Gold Star
3-2-Go
East
A temporary construction loan does not require escrowing in regards to HPML construction loans are exempt. Once the permanent financing is started, that is when you will need to escrow for HPML.

#1467596 - 11/15/10 04:11 PM Re: Escrow on Construction Loan with no Payments? 3-2-Go
Anonymous
Unregistered

That's what we are doing CO - but something make we want to say that since we know we are doing the perm - we should be escrowing on this since they live there now.

#1467624 - 11/15/10 04:33 PM Re: Escrow on Construction Loan with no Payments? Anonymous
3-2-Go Offline
Gold Star
3-2-Go
East
Anon,

I haven't read anything that says it would be required until permanent financing starts.
Does your internal policies prohibit you from escrowing in this case? If not, you would not be breaking any compliance rules that I know of if you escrow now.

#1467646 - 11/15/10 04:46 PM Re: Escrow on Construction Loan with no Payments? 3-2-Go
Dan Persfull Offline
10K Club
Dan Persfull
Bloomington, IN
Const/perm one time closes would require you to establish the escrow at consummation with the escrow beginning with the first payment of the permanent phase. Outside of that construction only and temporary loans are exempt under 226.35(a)(3).

Quick Reply:
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled

Moderator:  MagicCity, P*Q, Truffle Royale