Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#910435 - 02/26/08 04:44 PM B & B Refinance - HMDA Reportable?
mbzgrl, CRCM Offline
New Poster
CA
We are refinancing a Bed & Breakfast, which is also the borrower's dwelling. The loan will be secured by the B & B. Is this HMDA-reportable?

Return to Top
HMDA

HMDA Academy
#910461 - 02/26/08 05:04 PM Re: B & B Refinance - HMDA Reportable? mbzgrl, CRCM
hmdagal Offline
Power Poster
hmdagal
Refer to the 'Mixed-use property' discussion starting on the bottom of pg D-5 of GIR.

Return to Top
#910824 - 02/26/08 09:47 PM Re: B & B Refinance - HMDA Reportable? hmdagal
mbzgrl, CRCM Offline
New Poster
CA
That applies to purchases. This is a refinance.

Return to Top
#910831 - 02/26/08 09:54 PM Re: B & B Refinance - HMDA Reportable? mbzgrl, CRCM
Dan Persfull Offline
10K Club
Dan Persfull
Bloomington, IN
If the B&B does not qualify as a dwelling by the mixed-use test then you aren't refinancing a dwelling are you?

Return to Top
#910836 - 02/26/08 10:01 PM Re: B & B Refinance - HMDA Reportable? Dan Persfull
mbzgrl, CRCM Offline
New Poster
CA
Now I'm really confused. We report ag loans as HMDA-reportable refinances if there is a dwelling on the farm. Thinking along those lines, I thought since the B & B was someone's dwelling, then the refinance would be HMDA-reportable.

Return to Top
#910942 - 02/27/08 01:47 AM Re: B & B Refinance - HMDA Reportable? mbzgrl, CRCM
Truffle Royale Offline

10K Club
The primary purpose of the property doesn't change whether it's a purchase or refi so whatever standard you set for determining the primary use of the property applies.

Example, if the square footage of the portion used as a B&B is greater than the living quarters and that's your criteria for determing purpose, then this is not HMDA reportable.

Return to Top
#911145 - 02/27/08 03:26 PM Re: B & B Refinance - HMDA Reportable? Truffle Royale
hmdagal Offline
Power Poster
hmdagal
The reg does give us a specific exclusion for reporting the purchase of ag property, but that doesn't apply to refi's or to other types of property.

Return to Top
#911236 - 02/27/08 04:09 PM Re: B & B Refinance - HMDA Reportable? hmdagal
mbzgrl, CRCM Offline
New Poster
CA
OK, so we are correct in reporting the refinances of ag properties that contain a residential dwelling, but the B & B may go either way. Right?

Return to Top
#911251 - 02/27/08 04:18 PM Re: B & B Refinance - HMDA Reportable? mbzgrl, CRCM
hmdagal Offline
Power Poster
hmdagal
Right - it depends on whether you determine the B&B is primarily residential or commercial property.

Return to Top
#911336 - 02/27/08 05:10 PM Re: B & B Refinance - HMDA Reportable? hmdagal
Dan Persfull Offline
10K Club
Dan Persfull
Bloomington, IN
Found it, finally. Here's a post I made several months ago that may be of help mbzgrl:

There have been several questions in the past concerning whether to report mixed-use property when it comes to refinancings. Below is an answer that I recently posted in the Guru section.

I hope it will help you in these situations.

The regulation does not give specific guidance on refinancings when it comes to mixed-use properties, so this is how I approach it.

For mixed-use property the regulation gives the financial institution the means to determine the primary use of the property in the case of a purchase or for home improvement purposes by using either the square footage or the income produced on a case by case basis. For home improvement purposes you'll find more guidance in the GIR on page D-5.

The definition of a refinancing is any dwelling secured loan that is replaced and satisfied by another dwelling secured loan to the same borrower.

Therefore when refinancing a mixed-use property you need to determine if the original loan was considered secured by a dwelling or by business purpose property using the formulas allowed by the regulation at the time of the original loan. In other words how was the property classified for the original loan?

If the original loan was not secured by a dwelling per that formula then you are not replacing and satisfying a dwelling secured loan. Therefore your new loan would not meet the definition of a refinancing.

Return to Top

Moderator:  SMQ, CRCM