Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#1481923 - 12/16/10 09:14 PM short term???
new Offline
Can anyone tell me what the exact meaning of a temporary loan? We recently got "dinged" for have temporary loans on our LAR. However, I can not find anything that says exactly what a temporary loan is...
Would a six month interest only loan be "temporary"? I say yes, but I'm getting some resistance...

Return to Top
HMDA

HMDA Academy
#1481938 - 12/16/10 09:22 PM Re: short term??? new
raitchjay Offline
Power Poster
OK
Is the 6 month interest only loan designed to be replaced by financing of a much longer term? Or is the intent that the customer will just pay the loan off after 6 months? If the former, then temp. financing. If the latter, then not. I'm no expert on temporary financing either, but from what i've learned on BOL, i think it comes down to the "designed to be replaced by financing of a much longer term" for the most part.

Return to Top
#1481948 - 12/16/10 09:27 PM Re: short term??? new
SMQ, CRCM Offline
Power Poster
SMQ, CRCM
Between the lines
Temporary financing really has very little to do with the term of the note or the structure of the payments. It is a "gap" loan that is intended to get you from now to permanent financing. If you do not have a plan for permanent financing, then this loan can not be treated as temp, and you must report for HMDA. See this article, in fact, keep a copy of it and be prepared to quote to any and everyone.

http://www.bankerscompliance.com/assets/files/articles/HMDA%20and%20Temporary%20Financing.pdf

Return to Top
#1481970 - 12/16/10 09:44 PM Re: short term??? SMQ, CRCM
hmdagal Offline
Power Poster
hmdagal
Originally Posted By: SoccerMomQueen
Temporary financing really has very little to do with the term of the note or the structure of the payments.

The caveat here is that if a loan is on scheduled monthly payments that include principal and interest it would be very difficult to consider it temporary financing.

Return to Top

Moderator:  SMQ, CRCM