Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#1633323 - 11/29/11 10:59 PM Gross Annual Income
SUSANE1 Offline
Platinum Poster
Gross Annual Income for the HMDA LAR .
from the tax return - is it the line 22 Total income or line 37 adjusted gross income?

Return to Top
HMDA

HMDA Academy
#1633327 - 11/29/11 11:05 PM Re: Gross Annual Income SUSANE1
Kathleen O. Blanchard Offline

10K Club
Kathleen O. Blanchard
Gross = before any adjustments.
www.kaybeescomplianceinsights.com

Return to Top
#1633330 - 11/29/11 11:11 PM Re: Gross Annual Income SUSANE1
Adam Witmer Offline
Power Poster
You report the gross annual income used to underwrite the loan; in other words, you use the gross amount that was used to calculate ratios or cash flow. You really need to be able to trace the income amount back to the LO/underwriter, not just pull it from the tax returns.

Here is a discussion on this: http://www.bankersonline.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=848856

All statements are my opinion, not those of my employer, and should not be taken as legal advice.
www.compliancecohort.com

Return to Top
#1633332 - 11/29/11 11:17 PM Re: Gross Annual Income Adam Witmer

10K Club
Kathleen O. Blanchard
That is a good point. When I review files, I want to be able to tie back to what the underwriter used. That needs to be reflected somewhere. And there should be a standard process for how it is done or the bank can end up with fair lending problems. I have seen files where there was no way to figure out how the income was arrived at...gives me pause for concern and I comment upon it.

Return to Top
#1633336 - 11/29/11 11:22 PM Re: Gross Annual Income Kathleen O. Blanchard

10K Club
Kathleen O. Blanchard
I should add that I have not seen banks cited by regulators for reporting actual income relied upon (with losses deducted etc.) but have seen them cited for not being able to tie to the figure in the file.

Return to Top
#1633382 - 11/30/11 04:14 AM Re: Gross Annual Income Kathleen O. Blanchard
Adam Witmer Offline
Power Poster
Originally Posted By: Kathleen B
And there should be a standard process for how it is done or the bank can end up with fair lending problems. I have seen files where there was no way to figure out how the income was arrived at...gives me pause for concern and I comment upon it.
KB, to expand on your point, I have even seen regulators start to "decide" how income calculations should have been done when a standard is lacking in a bank. When there is a standard, it is much more difficult for regulators to criticize the Bank.

All statements are my opinion, not those of my employer, and should not be taken as legal advice.
www.compliancecohort.com

Return to Top
#1636247 - 12/07/11 02:08 PM Re: Gross Annual Income Adam Witmer
Indy Banker Offline
Platinum Poster
Does the government have any idea just how much time we in the compliance community spend trying to decipher their regulations and figuring out just how the heck we're supposed to give them exactly what they want?!?

Return to Top
#1642237 - 12/22/11 02:50 PM Re: Gross Annual Income Indy Banker
Adam Witmer Offline
Power Poster
Originally Posted By: bike4life
Does the government have any idea just how much time we in the compliance community spend trying to decipher their regulations and figuring out just how the heck we're supposed to give them exactly what they want?!?
No.

www.compliancecohort.com

Return to Top

Moderator:  SMQ, CRCM