Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Thread Options
#2027119 - 07/14/15 08:59 PM Is this a refinance?
swiggles Offline
Power Poster
swiggles
I made a ruling and now I'm second guessing myself. We have a borrower who has a revolving line of credit that he uses to purchase rental properties. Then, after he purchases a rental property using the RLOC, he obtains a long term loan on the property. He uses the proceeds of the long term loan to pay down (sometimes to zero), the RLOC.

The long-term loan isn't a purchase money loan because the funds didn't go to purchase the dwelling. The funds paid down the RLOC.

The long-term loan isn't a refinance because the funds did not pay off a dwelling-secured loan.

Am I right?

Return to Top
HMDA

HMDA Academy
#2027120 - 07/14/15 09:06 PM Re: Is this a refinance? swiggles
Adam F Online
Gold Star
Adam F
VA
FWIW, I agree. I don't see it as a purchase or refinance.

To be a refinance it has to replace and satisfy a dwelling secured loan. The LOC is just being paid down and even when it goes to zero it still can be used in the future.

The answers I give are my opinions. Not legal advice.

Return to Top
#2027122 - 07/14/15 09:07 PM Re: Is this a refinance? swiggles
swiggles Offline
Power Poster
swiggles
That is my line of thinking too. It just seems like this loan should be reported........

Return to Top
#2027220 - 07/15/15 03:46 PM Re: Is this a refinance? swiggles
NoLimits Offline
NoLimits
GA
Revolving lines of credit are always exempt from HMDA. That being said, the purchases would not be reportable due to the borrower using a RLOC to make the purchases. You could look at this several different ways, If he is using the long term loans to pay off the ROLC on each purchase, then I see it as the initial purchase (using the ROLC) as a temporary transaction, the long term loan paying off the ROLC would be the "first term out" from the temporary transaction, making it a reportable purchase. On the other hand, if he isn't paying the RLOC off totally on each transaction then I would look at it this way, if he used the long term loan to pay the ROLC down (satisfying the entire purchase cost of the dwelling) I would still consider it to be a first term out "perm phase" reportable as a purchase.

Basically the way I see it is this, he is using the RLOC for temporary purchase transactions, then he is seeking "perm financing" (the long term loans) which should be secured by the dwelling that was purchased, if this is the case I see each "perm" loan as being a reportable purchase for HMDA.

Even if he doesn't pay the RLOC off totally, he is still taking a temporary transaction and replacing it with the long term permanent financing secured by the dwelling that was purchased, making it the first term out from the temp phase, thus reportable as a purchase.

Use your own discretion, but as I see it, they are all perm phase reportable purchases as long as the long term loans are secured by the dwelling/s that was purchased using the RLOC which I couldn't really see it any other way.

Return to Top
#2027244 - 07/15/15 04:51 PM Re: Is this a refinance? NoLimits
TMatt87 Offline
Diamond Poster
TMatt87
Idaho
Originally Posted By NoLimits
Revolving lines of credit are always exempt from HMDA.

LOCs are optional reporting, not exempt.

If he is using the long term loans to pay off the ROLC on each purchase, then I see it as the initial purchase (using the ROLC) as a temporary transaction, the long term loan paying off the ROLC would be the "first term out" from the temporary transaction, making it a reportable purchase. On the other hand, if he isn't paying the RLOC off totally on each transaction then I would look at it this way, if he used the long term loan to pay the ROLC down (satisfying the entire purchase cost of the dwelling) I would still consider it to be a first term out "perm phase" reportable as a purchase.

Basically the way I see it is this, he is using the RLOC for temporary purchase transactions, then he is seeking "perm financing" (the long term loans) which should be secured by the dwelling that was purchased, if this is the case I see each "perm" loan as being a reportable purchase for HMDA.

Even if he doesn't pay the RLOC off totally, he is still taking a temporary transaction and replacing it with the long term permanent financing secured by the dwelling that was purchased, making it the first term out from the temp phase, thus reportable as a purchase.

Use your own discretion, but as I see it, they are all perm phase reportable purchases as long as the long term loans are secured by the dwelling/s that was purchased using the RLOC which I couldn't really see it any other way.

Can you provide a citation to back up this logic? The GIR only references the "take-out" of construction loans being reported as purchases:

A home purchase loan includes both a combined construction/permanent loan and the permanent financing that replaces a construction-only loan.

Return to Top
#2027293 - 07/15/15 06:35 PM Re: Is this a refinance? swiggles
NoLimits Offline
NoLimits
GA
In my opinion when something is optional then why report it? So my logic is, RLOC is exempt in my book.

As far as my logic on coding as a purchase, the point is, if the initial loan is temporary in nature for the purpose of purchasing a dwelling and is replaced by a "permanent" financing, the result of the perm phase is considered the first term out "such as" construction loans, making it a reportable purchase.

I am not basing my logic based on the construction loan logic, I am basing my opinion on the temporary/perm logic. Such as Purchase/Rehab that is temp in nature, the "refi" or perm phase would be coded a purchase, not questions asked.

You have to look at it in several different ways, construction loans are pretty much always considered to be temporary in nature, which is why the "perm" phase is coded as the purchase, there is no dwelling to report until it is built and complete. Regulation C refers to construction/bridge loans as examples of temp loans only, not that they are the only loans considered temp, the key words are temporary loans "such as" construction

as far as a perm phase to any other loan temporary in nature, it should be coded based on the trump rules, if the temp loan was made for purchase, the perm will be coded as such, if the temp loan was made for H/I again the perm will be coded as such, etc.

Just because it is not a construction loan doesn't mean that it isn't temporary in nature, thus where my logic kicks in. A construction loan and bridge loans are the only "examples" Regulation C provides as a standard in determining "temporary status", the point is, if the loan is of a short term and is going to be replaced by a much longer, permanent financing it is considered temporary in nature, thus the "perm" phase is reported based on trump rules.

The GIR references as exempt "temporary loans, such as construction and bridge loans"

Construction and bridge loans are not the only temporary loans, they are examples of temporary financing. Temporary loans come in many other forms than just construction and bridge.

When it comes to construction/perm the GIR specifically states to report the perm phase and exempt the construction phase this is not a good example of what we are discussing here, so construction doesn't apply, you have to focus on the temporary factor.

Under "Data Reporting In General" "transactions not to be reported" specifically states, construction loans and OTHER temporary loans, a loan doesn't have to be a construction or bridge loan the be considered temporary, again these are examples.

If we looked at everything in that manner, there would be thousands of un-reported purchase transactions (which is not the intentions of Regulation C).

The main point the Reg is trying to get across is, temp loans should not be reported, their perm phase should be reported.

I know Appendix A states about constructions loan, again the point behind this is the fact they are temporary and the permanent phase should be reported, same rule applies with "other" temporary loans.

Now, let me ask you this, A refinance is defined as "dwelling secured that replaces/satisfies another dwelling secured loan to the same borrower" "for coverage purposes, the existing obligation is a home purchase loan (as determined by the lender, for example, by reference to available documents; or as stated by the applicant)" So considering the definition, and coverage, if the first loan was temp thus not reported and the second perm loan wasn't reported as a purchase then you have no refi either, obviously if the intended purpose was to purchase it wouldn't be H/I either. So im guessing we having nothing? but a home was purchased? That logic makes no sense at all, I wouldn't dare try to argue that to an examiner.

Let me ask you this, Say Your institution makes a Purchase/Rehab loan, 6 month note, interest only and are planning to "refi" it at maturity based on a 20 year amortization. Would you not consider the initial loan to be temp in nature? And would you not code the "perm" loan a purchase?

Here is another kicker, could you justify reporting a newly purchased home (using temp financing) and coding the perm loan as a refinance considering it was never reported as a purchase?

You have to consider the trump rules and the rules around temporary financing and the permanent financing that replaces them, again Regulation C uses construction loans as an example to Temporary Financing, the definition clearly states ""

Citations to my logic are as follows:
Appendix C - 12 C.F.R. Part 1003
Appendix C - 12 C.F.R. Part 1003.2 (look at refi def)
Appendix C - Section 1003.4 Compilation of loan data. sub-part D (excluded data)

Under "data reporting in general" Home purchase loan is ANY loan secured by and made for the purpose of purchasing a dwelling , so when you consider that definition, and the definition and procedures set forth towards temporary loans and their permanent phase, the end result is, if the first loan was temp and was for the purpose of purchasing a dwelling, then when it is replaced by a much longer, permanent financing you report it as a purchase, just as you would with the permanent phase of a construction/perm loan. Same rules apply. As with any Regulation, there are grey areas and a lot of reading between lines, you look at it how you please, but as far as I am concerned I would not skip purchase and go straight to refi and I certainly wouldn't exempt it all together, that is asking of omissions at exam time.

under the introductions -- Who Must Report.
There are three categories of loans that must be reported: home purchase, home improvement, and refinancing. Each has a specific definition, which may vary from your institution’s use of the term. You will find the definitions in the chapter Data Reporting in General. There you will also find a list of types of trans actions that are not reportable under HMDA.

Return to Top
#2027299 - 07/15/15 06:44 PM Re: Is this a refinance? swiggles
NoLimits Offline
NoLimits
GA
Most of the "grey" areas are left for the institution's discretion, you come to a determination, you stick with the determination and you stay consistent on every like transaction.

These are my opinions, take them how you want...

but exempting countless purchase transactions isn't a smart move, again, my opinion

Return to Top
#2027307 - 07/15/15 07:07 PM Re: Is this a refinance? swiggles
TMatt87 Offline
Diamond Poster
TMatt87
Idaho
"Let me ask you this, Say Your institution makes a Purchase/Rehab loan, 6 month note, interest only and are planning to "refi" it at maturity based on a 20 year amortization. Would you not consider the initial loan to be temp in nature? And would you not code the "perm" loan a purchase?"

It definitely is temp financing, but there isn't anything in the regulation that supports that the purpose of the temporary loans should be the reported purpose of the perm loans, other than construction perm loans.

There are some that will follow the same logic, but others who reject it because there isn't similar guidance for other situations. Search the threads for several discussions regarding temp HI loans being refinanced and how to report the purpose. Overall, I think the majority would report as refinances.

Back to the original question, if you were to purchase a home using a LOC, you wouldn't report the purchase (assuming you opt not to report). Paying down the LOC doesn't replace and satisfy a dwelling secured loan (assuming the LOC is even dwelling secured) so the perm loans wouldn't be a reportable refinance.

I agree with the others stating that neither the LOC or the perm would be reportable.

Return to Top
#2027310 - 07/15/15 07:14 PM Re: Is this a refinance? NoLimits
swiggles Offline
Power Poster
swiggles
but exempting countless purchase transactions isn't a smart move, again, my opinion

Not "countless" here. This is the first scenario like this I have seen.

Return to Top
#2027341 - 07/15/15 08:16 PM Re: Is this a refinance? swiggles
NoLimits Offline
NoLimits
GA
I've personally seen quite a few, but, our LOs are a kind all of their own LOL.

The way I read it was, the borrower does this on a regular basis.
But, at any rate the main key is to stay consistent in whatever you decide is the best way to report or not report, but, I do, in my opinion, see these long term loans as a first term out from a temp purchase, I wouldn't chance not reporting them and the only definition it fits is a purchase, as far as refi goes, for coverage purposes the purchase transaction has to have already happened (reported) , in all thing I have seen im still sticking to my guns on the perm loans are reportable purchases.

I was hoping a few of the veterans would pop in and provide their opinions as well

Return to Top
#2027344 - 07/15/15 08:22 PM Re: Is this a refinance? swiggles
raitchjay Online
Power Poster
OK
I don't understand why you're mixing coverage and reporting definitions for refinances.

Return to Top
#2027359 - 07/15/15 08:43 PM Re: Is this a refinance? swiggles
NoLimits Offline
NoLimits
GA
The is Ludacris! If the purpose of the temp loan was home improvements then the refi would be coded as such.

The rule of trump is as follows: Purchase is number one, Home Improvement is next, Refinance is last.

If the temp purpose was a purchase, the perm is coded purchase

If the temp purpose was for Home Improvements, the perm is coded H/I

The refi of a temp loan is driven by the purpose of the temp loan, period.

In what galaxy do they code a refi'd temp loan a refi?? The loan was temporary for a reason, most of the time it is a purchase/rehab, it is home improvement draw note or LOC etc.

The only scenario I can think of the a temp loan's perm loan would be coded a refi is, if they requested a 6 month note refinancing from another lender, to only refi again with yet another lender a maturity for a much longer term.

Now I have not personally seen anything like that, and see no reason why anyone in their right mind would want to do that.

A refi is simply a dwelling secured that replaces a dwelling secured to the same borrow not for the purpose of purchase or home improvements, when purchase and H/I come into the picture it changes the ball game. NOT TO MENTION A REFI IS THE LAST OPTION IF IT DOESNT FIT PURCHASE OR HOME IMPROVEMENTS.

I can argue my points all day about this

the whole point is, if there were something in the Regulation that covered every single possible scenario then what in the heck do institutions need people like us for?

If the Regs were that cut and dry there would be no need for Compliance Officers

Not even ONE regulation that I have seen is cut and dry, they all have grey areas, they all have room for interpretations, and they all have room for mistakes and misinterpretations.

The proving point to that is, my last HMDA exam was schooling the examiners, the point of that is not to say I am more knowledgeable than the next person, but simply everyone reads and interprets things in their own way. But, when the examiner says you are wrong, you must prove them otherwise and in order to do that you must not be blind to the grey areas.

If it was all cut and dry and straight forward and to the point there would be no room for individual institutional interpretations , there would be no arguments, no questions and no need for forums like this smile

Return to Top
#2027369 - 07/15/15 08:52 PM Re: Is this a refinance? swiggles
raitchjay Online
Power Poster
OK
"If the purpose of the temp loan was home improvements then the refi would be coded as such."

Coded as such what? As home improvement? Again, i (and many others) would argue differently.

"The refi of a temp loan is driven by the purpose of the temp loan, period." Ok, please provide me the citation for that opinion.

"Not even ONE regulation that I have seen is cut and dry, they all have grey areas, they all have room for interpretations, and they all have room for mistakes and misinterpretations"

doesn't seem to jibe with:

"The refi of a temp loan is driven by the purpose of the temp loan, period."

Return to Top
#2027372 - 07/15/15 08:53 PM Re: Is this a refinance? raitchjay
NoLimits Offline
NoLimits
GA
that isn't even the point I was trying to make, the point i was getting at is, refi shouldn't have even been a question in the first place.

obviously reporting def. and coverage def. are two different definitions, I was trying to make a point that refinance made no sense any way you look at it.

given the question at hand and the scenario involved, the only logical coding for the long term loan is purchase, and that was my point, I personally would report them as purchases, I would not omit them.

but the subject kept being thrown towards Refi, and in this situation it doesn't even apply.

Return to Top
#2027374 - 07/15/15 08:55 PM Re: Is this a refinance? swiggles
raitchjay Online
Power Poster
OK
Absolutely no one is arguing that a refinance with new money for another HMDA reportable purchase (purchase or home improvement) would be reportable as a refinance. What we're arguing is that a temporary home improvement loan later refinanced into perm financing is NOT reportable as home improvement unless there are additional disbursed funds with the new loan that go for more improvements. Again, we've all seen the argument of carrying the logic over from the language that discusses classifying the perm financing that replaces a construction only loan as a purchase as the logic to do the same type of thing on temporary HI loans and the like later permed out......but you seem to be saying we're all crazy if we don't care to follow that logic--even though the GIR is silent on the issue for those types.

Return to Top
#2027375 - 07/15/15 08:57 PM Re: Is this a refinance? swiggles
raitchjay Online
Power Poster
OK
Why wouldn't refi be a question in the first place? If you hold to the belief that the GIR's language about reporting perm financing that replaces a construction only loan as a purchase as ONLY applying to that limited circumstance, why wouldn't refinance be in play?

Return to Top
#2027376 - 07/15/15 08:57 PM Re: Is this a refinance? swiggles
NoLimits Offline
NoLimits
GA
IT'S DRIVEN BY THE RULE OF TRUMP

PURCHASE
HOME IMPROVE
REFI

IN THAT ORDER

So I will ask you the same question, You have a purchase/rehab temp loan, on the perm loan how would you code it? A purchase, a H/I or a Refi?

My answer is Purchase, if yours differs I am done wasting my breath

Return to Top
#2027377 - 07/15/15 08:58 PM Re: Is this a refinance? swiggles
raitchjay Online
Power Poster
OK
"In what galaxy do they code a refi'd temp loan a refi??"

My galaxy, for one, so long as there is no new money for purchase or improvements.

Return to Top
#2027379 - 07/15/15 09:00 PM Re: Is this a refinance? swiggles
raitchjay Online
Power Poster
OK
Let me ask you this: Applicant gets a 6 month home improvement loan; temporary financing to be replaced later with perm financing. Perm financing loan comes around and simply refinances the temporary loan; no new money. You classify as HI, even though none of the funds for the new loan go towards home improvement? (Again, i've seen and understand the argument to carry over the construction-perm financing argument. I--and i think plenty of others--simply don't agree with it. If you do...great......you just seem to be implying we're all crazy for thinking otherwise.)

Return to Top
#2027380 - 07/15/15 09:01 PM Re: Is this a refinance? swiggles
NoLimits Offline
NoLimits
GA
no see we some how got mixed up here, if you are arguing about eh construction only scenario you are arguing to the wrong one. I NEVER said it only applies to that limited circumstance, in fact I was saying the complete opposite

Return to Top
#2027383 - 07/15/15 09:04 PM Re: Is this a refinance? swiggles
raitchjay Online
Power Poster
OK
No, i'm saying that i DO think it only applies to that limited circumstance. I'm a strict constructionist when it comes to regulations.......i read them the way they're written, and don't try to interpret things into them.....and i see nothing in the GIR that says "use this same logic we're using on construction loans later permed out to report your temporary loans for purchase or home improvement as well". Again, if you want to be a broad constructionist and interpret what they "meant", that's fine........

Return to Top
#2027384 - 07/15/15 09:04 PM Re: Is this a refinance? swiggles
NoLimits Offline
NoLimits
GA
But what scenario have you seen where a Temp loan is refi'd and remains a refi? like what I am asking here is, I cant think of one scenario where our particular bank would make a temporary loan that wasn't for purchase or improvements.

at any rate lights are shutting down, we can pick this back up tomorrow

I do believe some where in the mix the communication go mixed up , my argument was that construction perms are NOT the only circumstances a temp's perm phase is coded purchase

Return to Top
#2027385 - 07/15/15 09:05 PM Re: Is this a refinance? swiggles
raitchjay Online
Power Poster
OK
No one is arguing the "rule of trump" either......a temporary home improvement loan later refinanced with NO NEW MONEY doesn't meet the home improvement test...none of the funds are being used for home improvement.

Return to Top
#2027386 - 07/15/15 09:07 PM Re: Is this a refinance? swiggles
raitchjay Online
Power Poster
OK
"I do believe some where in the mix the communication go mixed up , my argument was that construction perms are NOT the only circumstances a temp's perm phase is coded purchase"

And i'm just telling you that many of us do believe that the only circumstance where the perm phase is reported based on the purpose behind the original temp loan is that spelled out in the GIR: where a construction only loan is replaced by permanent financing of a much longer term.

Return to Top
#2027387 - 07/15/15 09:08 PM Re: Is this a refinance? swiggles
raitchjay Online
Power Poster
OK
"But what scenario have you seen where a Temp loan is refi'd and remains a refi?"

Customer gets a $10,000 home improvement loan, 6 months, temporary financing. Comes back in 6 months and gets a 5 year loan to replace the temp loan. That's a refinance and "remains a refi" til it's paid off.

Return to Top
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderator:  SMQ, CRCM