Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#2269373 - 04/19/22 10:41 PM Preapproval Expiration
Tesla Offline
Power Poster
New to preapprovals and HMDA - so please bear with me. frown

If a preapproval expires before the consumers find a house, etc., is that reported on the LAR as "approved, not accepted"?

Return to Top
HMDA

HMDA Academy
#2269374 - 04/20/22 10:08 AM Re: Preapproval Expiration Tesla
rlcarey Online
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
Official Interpretation
4(a) Data Format and Itemization

ii. A financial institution is required to report data regarding requests under a preapproval program (as defined in § 1003.2(b)(2)) only if the preapproval request is denied, results in the origination of a home purchase loan, or was approved but not accepted.

Return to Top
#2269375 - 04/20/22 01:01 PM Re: Preapproval Expiration Tesla
Tesla Offline
Power Poster
As always, thank you, Randy. This means we could potentially report the same applicants multiple times if we have preapprovals expire too soon and they keep re-doing them. Thank you again for the clarification.

Return to Top
#2269379 - 04/20/22 01:27 PM Re: Preapproval Expiration Tesla
hmdagal Offline
Power Poster
hmdagal
These would be reported as 'preapproval approved not accepted', code 8, not 'approved not accepted (code 2).

Return to Top
#2269381 - 04/20/22 01:38 PM Re: Preapproval Expiration Tesla
Tesla Offline
Power Poster
Oh - thank you HMDAGAL! I have lots to learn. frown

Return to Top
#2269447 - 04/21/22 01:47 PM Re: Preapproval Expiration Tesla
Dan Persfull Offline
10K Club
Dan Persfull
Bloomington, IN
This means we could potentially report the same applicants multiple times if we have preapprovals expire too soon and they keep re-doing them.

That would depend how you choose to treat the reinstated applications (within the same calendar year).

Page l-30 in the 2022 A Guide to HMDA Reporting - Getting it Right (referred to as the GIR)

3. Application date—reinstated application. If, within the same calendar year, an applicant asks
a financial institution to reinstate a counteroffer that the applicant previously did not accept (or
asks the institution to reconsider an application that was denied, withdrawn, or closed for
incompleteness), the institution may treat that request as the continuation of the earlier
transaction using the same ULI or NULI or as a new transaction with a new ULI or NULI. If the
institution treats the request for reinstatement or reconsideration as a new transaction, it reports
the date of the request as the application date. If the institution does not treat the request for
reinstatement or reconsideration as a new transaction, it reports the original application date.

Return to Top
#2269448 - 04/21/22 01:48 PM Re: Preapproval Expiration Tesla
Tesla Offline
Power Poster
Thank you! smile

Return to Top

Moderator:  SMQ, CRCM