Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#2023753 - 06/29/15 04:41 PM Collecting & Reporting GMI/Income on DBA Loans
texaslady Offline
New Poster
Let's say Jim Bob and Betty Lo DBA J&B Investments are buying a rental house. Yes, it's HMDA reportable but the confusion is about whether or not to collect/report GMI and Income. My first instinct is no since the DBA is not a natural person, however others disagree since their names are listed as the DBA and will be included on the Core System, Note, & Deed of Trust as "Jim Bob and Betty Lo DBA J&B Investments". Honestly I can see the argument for both sides as the saying goes "Six of one and a half dozen of the other". What are everyone's thoughts? Many Thanks!

Return to Top
HMDA

HMDA Academy
#2023755 - 06/29/15 04:44 PM Re: Collecting & Reporting GMI/Income on DBA Loans texaslady
Kathleen O. Blanchard Offline

10K Club
Kathleen O. Blanchard
If there is no legal entity (a partnership, an LLC, a corporation) you are dealing with individuals.
www.kaybeescomplianceinsights.com

Return to Top
#2023773 - 06/29/15 05:29 PM Re: Collecting & Reporting GMI/Income on DBA Loans texaslady
JSD Offline
Platinum Poster
JSD
USA
Whenever dealing with a DBA, we always report GMI.

Return to Top
#2023780 - 06/29/15 05:43 PM Re: Collecting & Reporting GMI/Income on DBA Loans texaslady

10K Club
Kathleen O. Blanchard
Bear in mind that people tend to throw around "dba" as if it only occurs in a sole proprietorship. A "dba" is simply a trade style. A corporation can use a trade style and "dba" that name. A bank can use "dba" trade styles.

Return to Top
#2023871 - 06/29/15 07:58 PM Re: Collecting & Reporting GMI/Income on DBA Loans texaslady
texaslady Offline
New Poster
This dba is a General Partnership. Sorry I didn't include that in my original post.

Return to Top
#2023872 - 06/29/15 08:03 PM Re: Collecting & Reporting GMI/Income on DBA Loans texaslady

10K Club
Kathleen O. Blanchard
If that partnership is a legal entity they are not doing business as the general partnership, the general partnership is doing business on its own behalf. A DBA would be if the general partnership (set up as a real, organized general partnership) was

J&B Investments DBA Cool Investments

Return to Top
#2023873 - 06/29/15 08:08 PM Re: Collecting & Reporting GMI/Income on DBA Loans texaslady
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
"since their names are listed as the DBA and will be included on the Core System, Note, & Deed of Trust as "Jim Bob and Betty Lo DBA J&B Investments"."

I surely hope that you have legal counsel involved in this transaction. Titling notes and deeds in this manner is not normally acceptable. As Kathleen said, if the loan is the GP - what the heck is the name of the GP - It surely is not "Jim Bob and Betty Lo DBA J&B Investments".

Return to Top
#2023875 - 06/29/15 08:10 PM Re: Collecting & Reporting GMI/Income on DBA Loans texaslady

10K Club
Kathleen O. Blanchard
I guess I had better include this in my July 16 webinar on business purpose vs consumer purpose loans...I can touch on "what is a legal entity"!

http://www.calendarwiz.com/calendars/pop...ingconnect&

Return to Top
#2023922 - 06/29/15 09:48 PM Re: Collecting & Reporting GMI/Income on DBA Loans Kathleen O. Blanchard
texaslady Offline
New Poster
Thank you! This was what I thought too. Sometimes these lending assistants can really make me second guess myself. smile

Return to Top
#2023923 - 06/29/15 09:53 PM Re: Collecting & Reporting GMI/Income on DBA Loans rlcarey
texaslady Offline
New Poster
Thanks! I am glad several of you are seeing this the same way I did. Yes, I am passing this one on to Compliance Officer. What a welcome back from vacation it will be. shocked

Return to Top

Moderator:  SMQ, CRCM