Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#2025388 - 07/06/15 06:28 PM Going to become HMDA reportable & need job descr.
Snowgirl Offline
Platinum Poster
We just branched to a metropolitan area so we will be subject to HMDA next year. We are looking to hire someone with experience in this area and would like to have a job description for this position so we can advertise. Does anyone have a HMDA job description they would be willing to share with us? Please PM me if you have one that you think might work. Thank you!

Return to Top
HMDA

HMDA Academy
#2025406 - 07/06/15 06:58 PM Re: Going to become HMDA reportable & need job descr. Snowgirl
raitchjay Offline
Power Poster
OK
HMDA coordinator? HMDA is just one slice of what i do, so i have no special HMDA title.

Return to Top
#2025411 - 07/06/15 07:10 PM Re: Going to become HMDA reportable & need job descr. Snowgirl
raitchjay Offline
Power Poster
OK
Oh...i guess you asked for a job description...sorry, i sorta misread. I'd say you'd be looking for someone who can: organize and motivate staff, has a good understanding of Reg. C, can develop processes and procedures for compliance, yadda yadda.

Return to Top
#2025421 - 07/06/15 07:41 PM Re: Going to become HMDA reportable & need job descr. Snowgirl
Kathleen O. Blanchard Offline

10K Club
Kathleen O. Blanchard
And this will depend upon what you want that person to do. Develop procedures, test/monitor, train, test and submit LAR?

There are many aspects to HMDA.
www.kaybeescomplianceinsights.com

Return to Top
#2025484 - 07/06/15 10:35 PM Re: Going to become HMDA reportable & need job descr. Snowgirl
Snowgirl Offline
Platinum Poster
Kathleen: That is the problem, we have never been subject to HMDA so nobody really knows what we need.

We are small enough ($350 million in assets) that this will be a one-person does it all job. We have 12 branches in VERY VERY small - rural - remote communities and one branch in a metropolitan area in a neighboring state. We mostly are an ag bank; with a small mortgage department that does approximately 30 in-house 1-4 family real estate loans per year & the rest of the loans are construction only and brokered real estate loans.

We do have farm loans that will probably fall under HMDA as a refinance. I'm thinking in 2014 we had approximately 50 loans that were made last year.

So total originated loans in 2014 was approximately 80. Then I'm assuming there would be a slightly lower number of denials. So maybe 120-140 reportable loans per year.

Return to Top
#2025485 - 07/06/15 10:45 PM Re: Going to become HMDA reportable & need job descr. Snowgirl
Kathleen O. Blanchard Offline

10K Club
Kathleen O. Blanchard
You need someone who knows all of the ins and out of HMDA, or who will develop that expertise.

Staff will have to be trained in what to gather, when to gather, and where to report the data (will this be manual, or do you have an origination system?) The "HMDA" person cannot do that as it is a front end job...customer contact.

Perhaps you will have a form to be completed and then your HMDA expert will enter that data into your HMDA LAR software which might be the FFIEC free software. Of course that is the initial data; more data is needed as the application goes through the approval process...action taken, origination date, origination amount, etc.

The HMDA person will need access to files and access to staff to ask questions.

Once they input the data, ideally someone else should review for errors, typos, etc.
www.kaybeescomplianceinsights.com

Return to Top
#2025486 - 07/06/15 10:59 PM Re: Going to become HMDA reportable & need job descr. Snowgirl
TMatt87 Offline
Diamond Poster
TMatt87
Idaho
For that few loans, I would suggest combining the responsibility with another role. I wear a lot of hats, but HMDA is my main focus, and we have 800-1000 lines reported.

If I could get a full time job where I was only responsible for 100-200 HMDA loans and nothing else, that would be awesome.

Return to Top
#2025539 - 07/07/15 01:53 PM Re: Going to become HMDA reportable & need job descr. TMatt87
RR Becca Offline
Power Poster
RR Becca
out of the frying pan...
Originally Posted By TMatt87
If I could get a full time job where I was only responsible for 100-200 HMDA loans and nothing else, that would be awesome.

For real. If it gets me out of dealing with TRID, I might apply! wink

Snowgirl - I've been a one-woman HMDA operation in two banks now, both with at least double that line count every year. If you want to discuss suggestions on how it can be done, I'm happy to talk to you about it either here or in a PM. Without knowing more about your lending operations I hesitate to just start suggesting things, but would be happy to attempt to answer any questions you have.

And, of course, I will always defer to the voices of considerably more experience than mine that are out there in BOL-land. We have some truly great folks here! smile

Return to Top
#2025547 - 07/07/15 02:02 PM Re: Going to become HMDA reportable & need job descr. Snowgirl
raitchjay Offline
Power Poster
OK
120-140 reportable applications is about what we have in my bank; in fact, our situations sound very similar (branches in small, rural towns....1 branch in an MSA)....i agree with the others: handling 120-140 HMDA reportable applications shouldn't be a full-time job (or if it is, i'll get in line with the others to apply smile ).

(And Becca is being humble.....she's extremely knowledgeable about this stuff. smile )

Return to Top
#2025841 - 07/08/15 02:05 PM Re: Going to become HMDA reportable & need job descr. Snowgirl
Catm1991 Offline
100 Club
MO
We have almost a 1000 reportable, and I do everything to do with HMDA, plus review real estate loans, plus all the denials and w/d's that are real estate. We have 17 branches and getting ready to acquire 2 more HUGE banks! So this job description you are speaking of for sure could be done by someone that has another roll they do as well.

Return to Top
#2025843 - 07/08/15 02:10 PM Re: Going to become HMDA reportable & need job descr. Snowgirl
JWills, CRCM Offline
Diamond Poster
JWills, CRCM
The Mitten State
We have roughly 300-350 LAR entries per year. HMDA has been my responsibility for roughly 15 years now. It has stuck with me with my job changes, I started in the mortgage department, then on to loan department, and now I am the compliance officer, and HMDA is still here. It sounds overwhelming but like Kathleen B said above, it can be done. You will do fine. smile

--Dr. Seuss

Return to Top

Moderator:  SMQ, CRCM