Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#706312 - 03/23/07 10:05 PM Audit work papers during compliance exam
Jayne Offline
New Poster
How many of you are asked to share audit work papers during compliance exams? I do compliance audit/consulting work. Occasionally, the work papers are requested but generally the reports have been sufficient.

Just curious about others' experience.

Thanks.

Jane

Return to Top
Audit
#706315 - 03/23/07 10:10 PM Re: Audit work papers during compliance exam Jayne
Queen Mum Offline
Power Poster
Queen Mum
OK
This year they asked for all my workpapers. Then they would ask specifically for those loan files that were targeted in the workpapers. Fun!

Return to Top
#706318 - 03/23/07 10:16 PM Re: Audit work papers during compliance exam Queen Mum
Jayne Offline
New Poster
Thanks for sharing! Fun alright... I keep solid work papers but still not much fun being audited. Hm...

Return to Top
#706381 - 03/24/07 11:13 PM Re: Audit work papers during compliance exam Jayne
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
BSA/AML Exam workpapers are almost always requested these days. It is pretty hit and miss on other audits, as it always has. As an outside auditor/consultant - this should be a normal expectation - wouldn't it?

Return to Top
#706407 - 03/25/07 06:17 PM Re: Audit work papers during compliance exam rlcarey
Jayne Offline
New Poster
Actually, I am very rarely asked to view my work papers. No one's asked for BSA/AML work papers yet, and I do a lot of those. I've recently had one request for IT audit work papers. They generally ask for my resume, which is strong. My reports are not too wordy, but get the points across with complete descriptions of work performed, audit periods, sample sizes, and findings and recommendations. The engagement letters are solid.

I've been in banking for 18 years, with 9 years of it in compliance audit and consulting.

Seems like examiners tend to ask to see more if it's a bank that's had problems in the past.

Just checking to see if the trends are changing. Not worried about it one bit.

Return to Top
#706411 - 03/25/07 07:43 PM Re: Audit work papers during compliance exam Jayne
RR Sarah Offline
Power Poster
RR Sarah
Up North
Jane-This is my 4th year in compliance/audit. The first couple exams after I took the position the examiners looked at EVERYTHING (reports, cmte meeting minutes, work papers, schedules, etc). Now that they've determined I am doing what I'm supposed to be doing they only ask for the BSA and IT work papers and I think one other random audit that I got to choose. Of course they still want to see my reports and my minutes. I believe it to be a risk based approach on the examiners behalf. If they find something during their exam they want to make sure I am on top of it as well and they will of course ask to see my work papers in that particular area.

Return to Top
#706416 - 03/26/07 01:13 AM Re: Audit work papers during compliance exam RR Sarah
Jayne Offline
New Poster
Thanks, Sarah. This is kinda new to me - not the work - but the work paper part. I agree on the risk-based aspect. Thanks again for sharing.

Return to Top
#706445 - 03/26/07 01:21 PM Re: Audit work papers during compliance exam Jayne
ahou Offline
Power Poster
ahou
We've had no problems in the past, but examiners do ask for workpapers (BSA for sure) This is something new - started a couple of years ago.

Return to Top
#707781 - 03/28/07 03:51 AM Re: Audit work papers during compliance exam ahou
Jayne Offline
New Poster
Well, it could be that here in flyover country they haven't started asking for BSA audit workpapers as perhaps in other areas. However, I'm prepared if they do, I use the FFIEC exam procedures.

Now I have seen them ask for BSA work papers on audits that were done internally. Then they recommended external independent audits. Which has added a lot of BSA audits to my schedule.

Why ask why... just go with it.

Return to Top
#708065 - 03/28/07 04:42 PM Re: Audit work papers during compliance exam Jayne
Ready to Retire Offline
Diamond Poster
Living in the land of Oz
Having to provide the BSA workpapers is a given for every exam we have had-state and FDIC. And the FDIC dompliance examiner we have had for the last 3 exams (same person and not very nice) has always wanted my workpapers.

Return to Top
#708526 - 03/29/07 02:30 PM Re: Audit work papers during compliance exam Ready to Retire
Cornfed Turtle Offline
Diamond Poster
"...Somewhere in Middle Americ...
We're heading into a FRB compliance exam as we speak - - they want it all. I'm making arrangements for them to review the workpapers of all outsourced audits as well.

We always outsource the BSA audit - -and they always want those papers. This year - - -they are reviewing all workpapers. Should be no prob. I would think the workpaper review would help with the level of questioning, but we'll see.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z