Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#737797 - 05/22/07 04:21 PM Debit Card Approval
auditormb Offline
New Poster
We do not currently have a approval process for debit cards. Bankers are encouraged to issue a debit card to all customers. Management maintains that approval is not required because transactions are limited to the balance in the account. This seems totally risky. Are there any approval requirements for debit cards?

Return to Top
Audit
#737840 - 05/22/07 05:01 PM Re: Debit Card Approval auditormb
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
Only the criteria established by individual banks. They range widely.

Return to Top
#738841 - 05/23/07 05:40 PM Re: Debit Card Approval rlcarey
Andy_Z Offline
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
My bank originally looked at the underwriting process because there is liability when you allow others to stand in. Delayed transactions can come in after the money was debited some other way. There are risks.

That said, the volume of requests was prohibitive to this process and losses were minimal. So there are risks, but in a real world environment we experienced them in a minimal way. We went to a general issue procedure.
Rules and Regs minus Relationships equals Resentment and Rebellion. John Maxwell

Return to Top
#743977 - 05/31/07 08:05 PM Re: Debit Card Approval Andy_Z
Happy Offline
Gold Star
Happy
Andy - you are referring to consumer, correct? Or do you include business in that general issue procedure also?

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z