Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#1052126 - 09/26/08 09:32 PM Examination Reports
MyScamper Offline
Gold Star
Between here and there
Given the number of recent bank failures, especially WaMu, we are being questioned by both employees and clients about the safety and soundness of our financial institution. I know we are prohibited from releasing any information contained in the exam reports and the CAMELS rating by section 350.9 of the FDIC rules and regulations. It states, "The bank shall not make any representation concerning such report of the finding therein."

Does anyone have any suggestion about what we can say? Can we say, "The examiners were pleased" or anything of that nature.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Return to Top
Audit
#1052168 - 09/26/08 10:07 PM Re: Examination Reports MyScamper
Andy_Z Offline
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
You can say that your bank is there and plans on being there to server your customers, their kids and their kids. You can tell them you feel the bank is strong and you're not looking for a job elsewhere. And you can tell them your banks financials are on the FDIC site for review by your customers and their accountants.

Reassure them with the truth.

You can't intimate that the regulators have rated you one way or another. If you say you're rated A-1 or something, the other bank has to sound like it is hiding something when they say they can't comment. And your regulator won't appreciate a call from your customers who asks them to expand on on "A-1" or "that they were pleased." I wouldn't lie and I wouldn't stretch the truth. I'd tell it the way it is at that moment. Don't put words in teh mouths of the regulators.
Rules and Regs minus Relationships equals Resentment and Rebellion. John Maxwell

Return to Top
#1059534 - 10/07/08 01:45 PM Re: Examination Reports Andy_Z
kendrar Offline
Gold Star
Some banks are rated by groups other than the regulators.

Bankrate.com is one of these groups. We have placed a link on our homepage to their site - this isn't the same as a regulator but at least it is someone outside of your bank....might give the customers more confidence...

Return to Top
#1062556 - 10/10/08 12:09 PM Re: Examination Reports kendrar
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
We tell our customers that we have good asset quality, are well capitalized and ready to lend.

Return to Top
#1062842 - 10/10/08 03:23 PM Re: Examination Reports MyScamper
Jokerman Offline
10K Club
You could say whether you were profitable (hopefully you are), what your capital classification is, what your past due percentages are, levels of non-performing assets, etc. Of course, you only want to say that if it's good!!! We've been pointing out that we've recently increased our dividend.

Return to Top
#1062844 - 10/10/08 03:24 PM Re: Examination Reports Jokerman
Jokerman Offline
10K Club
You'd be free to point out that you're not under a C&D!

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z