Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#19974 - 06/07/02 12:15 PM IT Audit Training
teresa Offline
teresa
Maryland
We have been using our external auditor to conduct our IT audit, however the expense is becoming too high. Management wants me to consider getting some training so that I can do it myself. I do have a background in IT - one of my degrees is in Computer Information Systems (before I decided to dedicate my life to banking!) and I worked in that department many years ago. My question is - does anyone have a suggestion for where to go for training? I have information from ISACA about their IS Audit and Control Training Week and a catalog from MIS Training Institute. Anyone have any experience with either of these or have another to suggest? Thanks.

Return to Top
Audit
#19975 - 06/07/02 02:15 PM Re: IT Audit Training
Maria Offline
Platinum Poster
Sylacauga, Al, United States
Teresa:
I do not have a specific guide for IT training, but I have developed (what I feel) would be important overall aspects on a risk assessment worksheet for training issues. I do not know how "good" it is but it is information I felt was relevant. It is part of what I am putting together for the Information Security Risk Assessment Package (also our Internet banking). I will send it to be posted. Let me know if you or anyone else identifies other items that should be in it or should not.

Thanks

I also am finished with the Board/Management Oversight Risk Assessment forms and the Policies Risk Assessment forms. I will send them to be posted to. All I ask is for feedback so I know if I am heading in the "right" direction. The specific area assessments will follow as I complete them.

Hey, by the way, I like this section so now I can get some feedback on my auditing skills. Thanks everyone!!

Opinions and requests are mine not my employer.

Return to Top
#19976 - 06/07/02 07:33 PM Re: IT Audit Training
rexinaudit Offline
Gold Star
rexinaudit
New England
I have attended MIS events [both general audit and IT audit] several times and found these to be well-done.

Another source I like is Canaudit [http://www.canaudit.com/]. I have attended several of their courses and found them excellent. Explore their website to see what is being offered and sign up for their e-newsletter.

I would caution against doing all of your IT audit in house. If you have LANs. WANs, multiple servers, mini-mainframes, internet banking, etc., etc., you will be hard-pressed to keep up with it all these days.

Another good website is http://www.theiia.org/itaudit/ . New articles every month relevant to IT audit.

The internet materials and emails from SANS Institute [http://www.sans.org/newlook/home.php] seem very good. I am attending the SANSFIRE2002 in Boston this month to learn how to audit firewalls.

Return to Top
#19977 - 06/07/02 09:53 PM Re: IT Audit Training
D C Offline
D C
I have attended a variety of seminars by MISTI and found them the be quite educational. On a feedback form from the last seminar I attended I requested they develop a course for financial institutions IT audit because of the more specific technologies used, i.e. Internet Banking, Check and Document Imaging, ATM's, etc. If anyone knows of a company that has training specific to Financial Institutions, I would be interested in knowing.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z