Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#99144 - 07/21/03 07:27 PM Don't you just love it!
MackenzieS Offline
Diamond Poster
MackenzieS
Oklahoma
********Rant warning********

A day in the life of an auditor. I just completed an audit that spanned over several departments and several different managers are having to respond to this audit. Written responses were due Friday.

Today I received my first response. In the written response the manager flat out says that my finding was a lie. I reviewed the contents of our safekeeping boxes for backup media to match what the contingency plan said should be there. It wasn't. Her response is that upon her review the media was there when I conducted the audit.

I can honestly say, I've never had that one happen. Today is a first. Oh well, here I go to straighten this one out.

Return to Top
Audit
#99145 - 07/21/03 09:28 PM Re: Don't you just love it!
Last Mango Offline
Gold Star
Too Far From the Beach
You have my deepest sympathy. No really. I once anticipated a stiff rejection of my findings in an exit meeting with the Treasurer and CFO. When discussing the issue of rampant violations of unsigned J/E vouchers, the Treasurer presented J/Es mentioned during the meeting to disprove what I said. Signatures were miraculously present. I was ready though. I made copies. I thought the Treasurer was going to swallow her tongue.

Good Luck!

Return to Top
#99146 - 07/21/03 10:52 PM Re: Don't you just love it!
NotALawyer Offline
Gold Star
NotALawyer
I had this happen in a past life. What saved my bacon was the photocopies of the unsigned docs/docs with out-of-compliance dates. The room was reallllllly quiet for a minute or so after we both presented our docs to the manager...

Return to Top
#99147 - 07/22/03 01:18 PM Re: Don't you just love it!
Kansayaku Offline
Diamond Poster
metsuretsu
I too make copies of documents that show noncompliance to go in the audit files. Not only for proof of what I state, but also to assist the department with their corrections. (I already found the documents, etc. that needed corrected, why make them do it all over again.)

As for the missing items, when I am unable to locate something that should be in a file, I always ask for assistance (usually from the department head) in locating the item. If the item is not where it should be, I ask that they sign my comment sheet to verify that I had someone assisting with locating the missing item(s). This not only helps to validate my claims, but also shows their support of the audit function and intent to correct the problems as they are found. (Looks good to management and the board for both parties.)

Return to Top
#99148 - 07/23/03 06:30 PM Re: Don't you just love it!
Risk Officer Offline
100 Club
Dallas
Quote:

I too make copies of documents that show noncompliance to go in the audit files. Not only for proof of what I state, but also to assist the department with their corrections. (I already found the documents, etc. that needed corrected, why make them do it all over again.)

I have also found that giving the manager copies of documents that contain errors is generally well received by the manager. If you can do this during the audit, it sometimes facilitates working with the manager on tracing where the breakdown occurred.

I have been surprised at the number of times, both as a regulator and as an auditor, when correct(ed) documents have been produced at the end of a review...having copies of the original, unedited documents always makes for an interesting discussion.

Return to Top
#99149 - 07/24/03 03:41 PM Re: Don't you just love it!
OnTheEdge Offline
Diamond Poster
SmallTown, USA
During an exit meeting with one very uncooperative finance company executive, documents miracuously appeared. He stated to the Loan Review Officer that "Even Ray Charles could have seen that!"He's no longer with our company. Come to think of it he's no longer affiliated with any type of financial institution!

Return to Top
#99150 - 08/01/03 07:20 PM Re: Don't you just love it!
Sailboat Offline
New Poster
I think that every single auditor has experienced this in a past life. Trust me...it only happens once and then you make copies and they can choke on their accusations of the finding being a lie! I have even had one say that I must have whited out the information and made a copy! When people screw up they will go to extremes to fix it and don't care who gets in the way!

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z