Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#617922 - 09/26/06 03:09 PM IA Charter
A_G Offline
10K Club
Our Audit Committee currently has a charter and the audit function as a whole has an audit manual. The FRB was just in and they suggest that I have my own charter (I'm the sole auditor). Does anyone have an samples of a charter for me or suggestions of what one might include? Thanks.

Return to Top
Audit
#617923 - 09/26/06 03:45 PM Re: IA Charter
BlueEyedGirl Offline
BlueEyedGirl
somewhere between here and the...
The IIA's website (www.iia.org) has a sample charter. Search for "sample internal audit department charter".

Return to Top
#617924 - 09/26/06 07:29 PM Re: IA Charter
A_G Offline
10K Club
I guess I'm also a little confused between the charter and the manual. Should the manual contain the charter? My best guess is that the manual is more procedural details and the charter is more policy details?!?

Return to Top
#617925 - 09/27/06 03:29 PM Re: IA Charter
Life of Riley Offline
Gold Star
In a pineapple under the sea
OTS examiner explained during our last exam the charter states what you will do, policy states how you're going to do it.

Return to Top
#617926 - 09/27/06 03:54 PM Re: IA Charter
RR Jen Offline
Power Poster
RR Jen
Running and riding everywhere ...
We've had this discussion in the thread before.

This is how mine is broken down...it's been through an OTS and now OCC exam.

The Audit Committee has a Charter (it gives authority, responsibility, etc).
There is an Internal Audit Policy (pretty much the same as the AC charter but specifically addresses the Internal Audit function and includes reporting requirements).
I've got my Audit Schedule (I actually call it the Audit Program) that says when I'm doing which audit and it reflects the total hours.
Then I've got my individual audit Programs (Loan Audit, Balance Sheet, Branch Audits, etc.).

Clear as mud?

Return to Top
#617927 - 09/27/06 03:55 PM Re: IA Charter
RR Jen Offline
Power Poster
RR Jen
Running and riding everywhere ...
Quote:

OTS examiner explained during our last exam the charter states what you will do, policy states how you're going to do it.

I've always used the analogy that a policy/charter says what you will do and why where procedures state how your going to do it.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z