Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#1792474 - 03/07/13 07:31 PM Audit Certification
Teresak Offline
New Poster
I am wanting to obtain some type of audit certification. I have been looking at the CFSA certification through the IIA and also the audit certification offered by the ICBA. I am with a $650 million bank. For those of you who have certifications, in your opinion which of these would be the best? I would appreciate any information that you can share with me.

Return to Top
Audit
#1792538 - 03/07/13 09:00 PM Re: Audit Certification Teresak
Hobbes Offline
100 Club
Hobbes
On a sled
I have a CIA through the IIA. The CFSA can be used as stepping stone to the CIA, if you desire to obtain that in the future. I don't know much about the ICBA, but the IIA is a very large organization, and the test to obtain your certification will be fairly difficult. The IIA has a pretty good support system, and regional chapters through out the U.S. They also offer free, monthly webinars to members to meet continuing education credits.

I think the CFSA is more widely recognized than the ICBA certification. Also, if you decide to switch jobs at a later date, say to a national bank or credit union, I think the CFSA would be a better certification for you than a certification from a Community Bank association.

Of course, another factor to consder is the cost. Some of these certifications can get pricey, once you factor in association membership, test fee, etc.

So, in my opinion, I believe the CFSA is the better of the two. But I would recommend that you do research into both and make a decision based on what is best for you.

Either way, good luck in your certification process!

Return to Top
#1793212 - 03/11/13 02:24 PM Re: Audit Certification Teresak
happyauditor Offline
Platinum Poster
happyauditor
NY
I agree with Backstreets. Out of the two, the CFSA would be better in my opinion. I do not have the CFSA, but I do have the CIA. The IIA which sponsors both the CFSA and CIA is a globally recognized professional organization.

Return to Top
#1793738 - 03/12/13 03:34 PM Re: Audit Certification Teresak
JustMe! Offline
Gold Star
wishful thinking ...
I have the ICBA certification and believe it is a good certification, but I am pursuing my CFSA and my CIA. The examiners seem to happy that my staff and I have the ICBA certification. I am with a $850 million bank. I have to agree that the CIA and CFSA are more widely recognized, but the ICBA certification is fairly easy to obtain and maintain and the overall cost is most likely less than the CIA and CFSA.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z