BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Thread Options
#408701 - 08/15/05 10:09 PM Bank of First Deposit on IRD
cologirl@heart Offline
Gold Star
cologirl@heart
WY - still a CO girl, though
Where do you find the bank of first deposit on an IRD?

Return to Top
Operations Compliance
#408702 - 08/16/05 12:06 AM Re: Bank of First Deposit on IRD
rainman Offline
Power Poster
rainman
If the BOFD processed the check as paper and it was subsequently truncated then reconverted to an IRD, the BOFD endorsement would appear on the IRD image of the back of the check - just the same as if it were still paper.

If for some reason the BOFD either takes the IRD for deposit or takes a check, images it, and reconverts it to an IRD before sending it for forward collection, Reg. CC Appendix D(3) requires the bank to put its endorsement on the back of the substitute check the same as if it were the original.

Thus, unless I'm missing something (certainly possible, especially this afternoon!), it seems to me the BOFD will always be identified by the endorsement on the back of the check, whether it's an original or an IRD.

Return to Top
#408703 - 08/16/05 04:06 PM Re: Bank of First Deposit on IRD
cologirl@heart Offline
Gold Star
cologirl@heart
When I attended a Fed conference in the fall, we were told that the BOFD should be on the front just to the left of the check image in the numbers going vertically along the left side.

We are finding that this isn't always the case.

Also, as many of you who qualify items know, not everyone puts there spray/stamp legibly on the back of items. When it's already next to impossible to read, when you image an item... it's worse.

Is there some where that the item should be more legible? According to the fax from fed last night, there should be printing from the source of the IRD that has the BOFD... if I understood the fax correctly.

What is anyone else's understanding of finding the BOFD?

Return to Top
#408704 - 08/16/05 05:54 PM Re: Bank of First Deposit on IRD
rainman Offline
Power Poster
rainman
Reg. CC requires the reconverting bank (not the BOFD) to identify itself on both the front and back of the IRD. The reconverting bank also has to preserve all prior endorsements, and to print endorsements that were applied electronically. Maybe that's what the fed was getting at. The reconverting bank is also liable to your bank for any damages due to illegibility of the prior endorsements, if it's the imaging/reconversion process that made the endorsements illegible. In other words, I think the first way to find the BOFD is to go to the reconverting bank and ask them for the info.

At least I think that's the theory; I'd be curious how it's working out for anyone who's actually had experience with it.

Return to Top
#408705 - 08/16/05 08:21 PM Re: Bank of First Deposit on IRD
cologirl@heart Offline
Gold Star
cologirl@heart
What if the reconverting bank is the Fed and you can't read the return bank endorsement?

Return to Top
#408706 - 08/16/05 11:08 PM Re: Bank of First Deposit on IRD
rainman Offline
Power Poster
rainman
Then the question is why can't you read the endorsement. If it's because the endorsement was just bad, then that's a problem. If it's because the imaging and reconverting process was bad, then the Fed has breached a warranty to you and you have a claim against the Fed. (Plus, even if the endorsement is illegible, shouldn't they be able to research and tell you who the BOFD is; or at least who the bank before the Fed is?)

Return to Top
#408707 - 08/17/05 06:51 PM Re: Bank of First Deposit on IRD
cologirl@heart Offline
Gold Star
cologirl@heart
Here's my question about this:

When we are told that we have only 24 hours to return an item and they charge us extra for "non-qualified" items, how are we supposed to qualified illegible items within the timeframe?

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z, John Burnett